Kinor-16 CX-2M or Kinor-16 CX-3M?

Taylor Smith

Hello everyone.

I have one last project left on my Krasnogorsk-3 before moving onto what I suspect will be my future love .. the Kinor

I've been offered the Kinor-16 CX-3M for a reasonable price. I will obviously still have the benefit of shooting with the infamous 10-100mm and I'm aware that the 3M is a rarer mode.

But are the 2M / 3M majorly different? (excuse my ignorance if this is a silly question)

What are the advantages / disadvantages of the Kinor-16 CX 3M over the 2M?

Please help me out Russian camera enthusiasts !!!

I have gotten some beautiful dynamic colours from the K-3.

I'm hoping to get even more with the Kinor and a more stable image thanks to pin registration.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Jesse

If you are interested in my work with the krasnogorsk-3, you can view it on my website - www.jessetaylorsmith.com

Edited by Taylor Smith

Hi Taylor,

You really want to spend money for russian equipment now ? I mean now, when price of Arriflex and Aatons are so low, then newer before.

Personally I've got Aaton LTR and Arri SR1 and both are extremely precise pieco of equipment with so many good features.

I had Krasnogorsk once, it's OK camera, but you know, it's russian. Every screw, every pieco of metal, it's made on some level, but on french (Aaton) or german (Arri) cameras that level it's much more higher. In extreme conditions like cold winter, you can see the difference. I've tried to shoot with russian camera once in cold (it was only -2 degrees C) but it just hadn't happened. Because camera was not able to shoot.

That's just my opinion :rolleyes:

Hi Matej Pok

Thanks for your response. I understand why some filmmakers would prefer the Arriflex and Aaton ...

However these cameras are not for me. I have shot with the Arriflex before and I was not crazy about the footage.

The colours were flat. Cumbersome camera to work with too.

During telecine, I felt I could have achieved the look easily with 7D and colour correction.

I have never used an Aaton before so I can't discuss it.

I know the Kinor has a unique look. From the tests I've seen I prefer it to the Aaton.

Does anybody know the differences between the 2M and 3M?

Jesse

• Premium Member

However these cameras are not for me. I have shot with the Arriflex before and I was not crazy about the footage.

Assuming similar lenses, in good condition, the camera body can't really have any effect on the colour. this is real photography, we use a brand new sensor for every image. Now a lens with some flair may result in images that look desaturated?

Kinor-16 SX-2M and Kinor-16 SX-3M do not have difference.

The difference on lens set of camera kit only.

Kinor-16 SX-3M must included 16 OPF-12-1 10-100 mm zoom lens with 0.75 front wide angle attachment, and can have 6 mm super wide angle lens ( special order ).

Kinor-16 SX-2M can have 16 OPF-1-2M 12-120 mm and 10 mm wide angle lens, 16 OPF-1-2M 12-120 mm with 0,75 front wide angle attachment.

Kinor's can have difference list of film magazines set. This can be 30 m and 120 m film magazines.

Kinor-16 - real professional cinema camera with one transport pin, one registration pin, side film clamping.

Electrical motor of Kinor can be upgrade to crystal sync speed, multi speed, single frame, with digital film counter, remote control, variable speed.

You can find more information about Kinor's, upgrades on my website.

If you have technical questions, can send me by PM.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christopher Sheneman

Hi Matej Pok

Thanks for your response. I understand why some filmmakers would prefer the Arriflex and Aaton ...

During telecine, I felt I could have achieved the look easily with 7D and colour correction.

I have never used an Aaton before so I can't discuss it.

I know the Kinor has a unique look. From the tests I've seen I prefer it to the Aaton.

Does anybody know the differences between the 2M and 3M?

Jesse

Might want to rethink that. The Camera body has nothing to do with the image creation, it's just a dumb ol' box. That said, certain dumb boxes are better than others and with the price of motion picture cameras declining rapidly -it's a free for all!

So you want a Kinor? I have/had many Russian cameras and they are fine working cameras but they are not the BEST cameras (now for the money especially). German, American, etc.. If you want a Pontiac instead of a Cadillac for the same price that's your business but I would beg/plead you to reconsider.

For $600 you can buy a sync quiet camera with a Ziess zoom lens and multiple 400ft magazines, looking at one right now on Ebay.. and you can get a warranty (on a 35yo camera? wow, that's Ebay for you).

I just did you a huge favor by righting this, you're welcome.

I did you a hge favor buy wrighting (this is what I wrote originally- thank god for those red wavy lines!)