I have a question for Lab people

Paul Bartok

Hi guys, my ECN-2 chemicals arrived from Kodak yesterday.

I got all the Chemicals except the Prebath becuase I can use home chems to remove the remjet backing after or before the dev.

Im using it for purely experimental reasons in a SLR not a movie camera.

Okay so ive tried a few test devs and nothing comes up.

Can some one please check if my chemicals are at the right amounts etc.

Im using a a Paterson tank

only using 300ml (333ml because of equations not too good with my maths ideally need it for 300ml) of liquid for one roll at a time.

PROCEDURE:

- KODAK DEV 5lT (I use 15ml + 315ml water @41c degrees- 3.00mins)

- KODAK STOP 5lT (I use 15ml + 315ml water @ 30c degrees 0.30sec)

- WATER 0.30 secs

-(skipping the bleach saving it, just want to get images first then can do the bleach)

- KODAK FIX 20lT (I use 100ml + 315ml water @ 30c degrees 2.00mins)

- then check negatives to get the following:

Negatives become clear and orange like normal as if done properly but Missing Pictures, NO Edgecode, numbers or barcodes and I can scratch of the what I believe to be the emulsion to make it clear. Also when I look at it most the remjet is missing and has come off, when I did bw test most of it was still there.

Really need some advice as too why this isn't working.

• Premium Member

Hi guys, my ECN-2 chemicals arrived from Kodak yesterday.

Negatives become clear and orange like normal as if done properly but Missing Pictures, NO Edgecode, numbers or barcodes

Really need some advice as too why this isn't working.

Undeveloped will give you orage film because of the built in mask. Quick cheep test would be to stick some faged film into the developer in the light. For example use the Cut off leader from your experiment and stick it Half way into a batch of developer and observe - The emulsion side should become gradually darker where it is in the developer.

Without the per-bath the film will likely be not as alkaline so the development time required may be longer, but I would expect "some" image from the per-exposed parts.

Undeveloped will give you orage film because of the built in mask. Quick cheep test would be to stick some faged film into the developer in the light. For example use the Cut off leader from your experiment and stick it Half way into a batch of developer and observe - The emulsion side should become gradually darker where it is in the developer.

Without the per-bath the film will likely be not as alkaline so the development time required may be longer, but I would expect "some" image from the per-exposed parts.

Hi Charles I did the test the image shows the results below,

I've noticed the second water touch's the film your able to scrap of the emulsion is that normal and if so how do you stop that.

ila8ef.jpg

HI Paul,

I suspect you don't have any developer in there.

Are you aware that to mix up ECN kit developer you need to use 3 products from kodak? You need the 5 litre ECN starter, and you need the 20 litre ECN replenisher part A and the 2 x 5 litre ECN replenisher part B. The 'developer' is really a combination of part A and part B. The starter is just to 'condition' the developer to make it the same as used developer that has been replenished if you get what I mean.

You don't mention that you have used all three of these kit elements, so I suspect that is the source of your problem.

cheers,

richard

• Premium Member

HI Paul,

I suspect you don't have any developer in there.

Yes, I looked twice as the darker colour film in your test is that which did not get wet!

If you had developer of any sort, the developed film would get much darker.

As far as the emulsion getting soft when wet, It sure Does!

When I was a kid the little home splicer I had came with a bottle of water to brush

on the film to make it easier to remove the emulsion where you wanted to splice.

This is why the processing machines have special rollers and often do most of the drive from the back of the film. Instead

of Wipers they use "air Squeegees" to remove excess solutions. In home processing of any film

you have to be very careful to avoid contact with the wet film and if needed only use a soft sponge.