Canon's Cinema Lenses

Sean Elder

Ok, so I've heard a few rumblings about these new sets of zooms that Canon is releasing for their Cinema EOS Line cameras, but my question is what is the drawback on a variable stop lens versus a fixed stop lens; OTHER THAN THE OBVIOUS! I just would like to know what some people think about a zoom lens that loses a stop on the long end of the lens, and also would there be any sort of focusing issue on the long side of the lens? What is the impression in other markets, as I haven't heard much about the lenses, just the cameras. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Actually, it's not the first time a zoom did this.

If I recall correctly (and admittedly, it's been a long, long time) some of the old Angeneiux's did this, particularly the wider zooms.

I think I once owned one of their lenses that had something like an f1.6 wide open as long as you stayed in the widest half of the zoom range, but went down to a f2.5 if you used the whole range.

It was all clearly marked, and I didn't have any problem with it (although I would note that the so long as you stayed within the limits, the stop did not change during a zoom).

While it would have been nice to have a fast lens over the whole range, overall I was glad they gave me the fastest lens they could at the wide end. With the emulsions back in the day, that extra 2/3rds stop came in handy on more than one occasion.

Another question: Is there a HUGE difference between T2.95-3.7? I would like to feign that I am good at math, but I'm guessing that that's about one full stop?

It comes out to 0.75 difference! :)

love

Freya