Where do you begin AFTER you've got your B.S. degree in Film

Ben Ivy

SO,

I, like many others have recently graduated from The Art Institute, Los Angeles, with a bachelor's degree in digital filmmaking and video production.

During school, I learned through hands-on training, rather than text and made many contacts while there - internships, friends, the whole deal.

However, trying to find a steady job in the industry has come up to be a hassle. How do most people get their foot in the door after graduation???

Tips, suggestions, comments are more than welcome!

• 3 months later...

Depends on what you want to be, but I'm guessing: keep doing interims until you get offered a real contract. Sounds logical, but I don't think it's any more complicated than that. Or try and do as many projects as you can yourself, wether it be as a director, or a DP, or an editor. You said you went to a film school, which means you have one big advantage over people who didn't: you already know people who are also into filmmaking. Use that. Work together, and make projects together. Another big advantage of this is that no one will tell you what to do. You'll have unlimited freedom, which can be one the most powerful tools in improving your creativity.

Also, making contacts is one thing, maintaining them is another.

Good luck!

Edited by Hyun De Grande

• Premium Member

I volunteered, and listened to everyone about everything, and learned what I could. I had loads of job offers to go down south for steady work with the majors, as well as Marin, but life got a little complicated.

Do what you can, be prompt, don't be afraid to get yelled at for mistakes, just make sure you learn from them.

Going into film is essentially going into business for yourself, though not necessarily as a film maker, but as someone who can offer services to see that a production gets aloft and finishes.