Color grading sd footage

Edith Lowe

Hi my name is Edith, and I'm new to this board. I'm currently using a Panasonic dvx100b and I've looked high and low for video tutorials. What I've come up with are most videos are for slr raw footage. I don't know if this a silly question or not. I apologize if it is, but can you color grade sd footage and the quality of the video come out well? I am using adobe premiere pro cs6 along with speedgrade cs6. I'd really appreciate it if someone could direct me into the right direction. Thank you.

I had to shot most of my video projects on the Panasonic dvx100b for the first year of film school. Ari is right, you can't do a whole lot really with the footage in post, BUT, you can do something with it if you shoot with the right settings.

The trick is to pick the right Gamma curve to get the most out of your footage. You get the most control in post if you shoot with the CINE-LIKE_D gamma curve setting.

This link has some useful information: http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/#GammaSettings

There is also a section on that website that explains the color sampling (4:1:1), look for Chroma Interpolation.

If you shoot you light your stuff carefully to suit your camera you will be surprised at the results you can get with this camera. I loved the dvx100 but I don't think I could ever go back to SD.

Edited by Michael M Frankel

Thanks Michael I will definitely check out those sites. I really appreciate it. Would it be too much to ask if I could email you a video I shot a couple months ago? And maybe you could give me some feedback? I've been out of touch with filming and editing for a while. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.