Kino Flo double 4' vs Diva light 400

Pierre P Blais

Hi

I'm wondering what to chose for a serie of interviews I'm planning to shoot, and I'm hesitating between using the Kinoflo Diva-light 400 or the Kinoflo Double 4' or possibly 4bank. I'd like some advice on evaluating one vs the other. I have worked with a DP that uses the Diva Light extensively, but I always find there is a bit of an unpleasant color bias when we use it, even worse when you start dimming, I've also been told by another DP that this is a known issue with the Diva light that is less of an issue with the regular Kinos... I myself have only worked once with a 4bank kinoflo, during a training course on lighting, I can't say I noticed anything wrong with it, it seemed to mixe very well with both tungsten and HMI'S, but I didn't have as much of an eye for these things at the time vs. now. So I'd like to hear thoughts of people who've used both quite a bit!

This is going to be my first real experience as DP, hence my wanting to make good choices, usually I'm more of a focus puller, 1st AC.

Thanks!

Hi

I'm wondering what to chose for a serie of interviews I'm planning to shoot, and I'm hesitating between using the Kinoflo Diva-light 400 or the Kinoflo Double 4' or possibly 4bank. I'd like some advice on evaluating one vs the other. I have worked with a DP that uses the Diva Light extensively, but I always find there is a bit of an unpleasant color bias when we use it, even worse when you start dimming, I've also been told by another DP that this is a known issue with the Diva light that is less of an issue with the regular Kinos... I myself have only worked once with a 4bank kinoflo, during a training course on lighting, I can't say I noticed anything wrong with it, it seemed to mixe very well with both tungsten and HMI'S, but I didn't have as much of an eye for these things at the time vs. now. So I'd like to hear thoughts of people who've used both quite a bit!

This is going to be my first real experience as DP, hence my wanting to make good choices, usually I'm more of a focus puller, 1st AC.

Thanks!

i would go personally to the 4 bank kino flo and i would use 2 of them

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of the diva-lite for interviews, I usually shoot it through a diffusion frame or trace, fairly close to the subject. It's small enough that you can do that fairly easily without things getting cramped or uncomfortable for the interviewee.

Re the colour issues, I never use the on board dimmer as that ruins the colour of the output. Regular kinos dont have a dimmer, you just turn tubes on and off from the ballast so they don't have this issue. I also keep 1/8 and 1/4 plus- and minusgreen gels to hand, I particularly find that some camera systems read the light very magenta.

• 3 weeks later...