Jan De Bont Document

Guest Stephen Murphy

Guest Stephen Murphy
1349070314[/url]' post='377386']

Wonderful! Thank you!!

Any chance of upcoming ones on Michael Ballhaus, Phil Meheux, and Darius Wolski?

Even Mitch Amundsen or Amir Mokri (even though they're kind of new)?

When i have time I'll certainly get to Meheux and Wolski at some point but not the others.

• 3 weeks later...

When i have time I'll certainly get to Meheux and Wolski at some point but not the others.

Thanks for these Stephen, the Biddle and Cronenweth ones in particular will be helping with a project I'm on at the moment.

Given your style choices...How about John Schwartzman or the other Darius..... Khondji?

Also, as untimely as it is, what about a look back at Harris Savides? Although no doubt AC will cover him soon anyway.

Cheers

John

Guest Stephen Murphy

Thanks for these Stephen, the Biddle and Cronenweth ones in particular will be helping with a project I'm on at the moment.

Given your style choices...How about John Schwartzman or the other Darius..... Khondji?

Also, as untimely as it is, what about a look back at Harris Savides? Although no doubt AC will cover him soon anyway.

Cheers

John

I might get to them at some point but I have an idea in mind of the next few guys i might do its just a question of time and managing to squeeze it in - i doubt there'll be another one until the new year.

• Premium Member

If you are centering on cinematographers of the 1980's (obviously an influential decade for you as it was for me, as was the 1970's), probably Robert Richardson was one of the most important cinematographers to emerge near the end of that decade. Also Allen Daviau, Caleb Deschanel, and of course, Storaro continued his great work from the 1970's. I got my BA at UCLA in 1984 and spent the decade making my own short films in Super-8, dreaming of being a professional filmmaker. I went to film school in 1988-91. So the 1980's was a peak time for studying movies, new and old.

Years ago I posted my favorite movies for cinematography, decade by decade, and this was my list from the 1980's. Storaro's name probably appears the most. A sign at how influential these movies were for me was that I just filled in the names of the cinematographers for each title right now from memory... and only had to look up three of the titles on IMDB.

1980’s:

The Elephant Man (1980) -- F. Francis

The Empire Strikes Back (1980) -- P. Suschitsky

Heaven’s Gate (1980) -- V. Zsigmond

Raging Bull (1980) -- M. Chapman

The Shining (1980) -- J. Alcott

Stardust Memories (1980) -- G. Willis

Chariots of Fire (1981) -- D. Watkin

Excalibur (1981) -- A. Thompson

Pennies From Heaven (1981) -- G. Willis

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) -- D. Slocombe

Reds (1981) -- V. Storaro

True Confessions (1981) -- O. Roizman

Blade Runner (1982) -- J. Cronenweth

Das Boot (1982) -- J. Vocano

E.T. (1982) -- A. Daviau

One From the Heart (1982) -- V. Storaro

Sophie’s Choice (1982) -- N. Almendros

Fanny & Alexander (1983) - S. Nykvist

The Right Stuff (1983) -- C. Deschanel

Rumblefish (1983) -- S. Burum

Wagner (1983) -- V. Storaro

Yentl (1983) -- D. Watkin

Amadeus (1984) -- M. Ondricek

Dune (1984) -- F. Francis

Greystoke (1984) -- J. Alcott

The Natural (1984) -- C. Deschanel

1984 (1984) -- R. Deakins

Brazil (1985) -- R. Pratt

The Color Purple (1985) -- A. Daviau

Ladyhawke (1985) -- V. Storaro

Legend (1985) -- A. Thompson

Mishima (1985) -- J. Bailey

Out of Africa (1985) -- D. Watkin

Ran (1985) -- Nakai/Saito/Ueda

Blue Velvet (1986) -- F. Elmes

The Mission (1986) -- C. Menges

A Room With A View (1986) -- T. Pierce-Roberts

Angel Heart (1987) -- M. Seresin

Empire of the Sun (1987) -- A. Daviau

The Last Emperor (1987) -- V. Storaro

Red Sorghum (1987) -- Changwei Gu

Someone to Watch Over Me (1987) -- S. Poster

Baron Munchausen (1988) -- G. Rotuno

Tequila Sunrise (1988) -- C. Hall

Tucker (1988) -- V. Storaro

Born On the Fourth of July (1989) -- R. Richardson

Fat Man & Little Boy (1989) -- V. Zsigmond

Mountains of the Moon (1989) -- R. Deakins

Guest Stephen Murphy

If you are centering on cinematographers of the 1980's (obviously an influential decade for you as it was for me, as was the 1970's), probably Robert Richardson was one of the most important cinematographers to emerge near the end of that decade.

Yeah you've pretty much nailed it - and that's a fantastic list David - that's basically the same as my own (although I still have yet to see pennies from heaven - no uk DVD unfortunately).

It's interesting trying to examine ones influences in a conscious fashion - it does force you to examine why you do things in a certain way and so far it's been a really useful exercise for me.