Cloud Atlas

As far as I know, it's independently produced and therefore they seek an unconventional marketing!?

I'm eager to see it, although I'm prepared for anything because of the Wachowskis involved...

It is meant to be the biggest German production since "Metrolpolis" and IMHO Tykwer is the first German visionary director since Lang, but somehow I doubt this will be his masterpiece (which is just a matter of time, IMHO)...

Mr Tykwer & Frank Griebe are big fans of 65mm (used partially for "the International") and I hope they finally have the balls to go for it in their next project! This time it's just loads of CGI + Alexa.

Edited by georg lamshöft

• 1 month later...

I think this looks really interesting, 3 directors and 2 cinematographers, filming an unfilmable film on film! :)

I notice one fellow from India posting passionately about how much he hated the film already, so clearly it's able to get a reaction out of people at the very least! :) I suspect it might be a bit flawed like "The fountain", but worth watching.

To be honest a lot of the reviews so far have made me more interested in seeing it. A bit like "Beyond the black rainbow", which is one of those films where I keep reading bad reviews of it leaving me thinking "hey this really sounds like my kind of film!" lol!

Anyway there is a now a Kodak article about the film that is definitely worth checking out:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Publications/InCamera/Team_Filmmaking_Pulls_Together_an_Epic_Story_for_Cloud_Atlas.htm

love

Freya

Seems like it's Kodak from what I can tell?

Unless it's partly Alexa too?

It seems you're right, I'm sorry. I've got the information from an older source and an Interview in German TV where Mr. Tykwer stated he will use a new digital camera by ARRI for his next project (that was in 2010).

• Premium Member

It really was a nice little picture. I don't think it was great in any way; but I was personally quite content in watching it and paying for it. I saw a nice digital projection of it. Screen said it was 4K, but I doubt it. Looks pretty fantastic; however, I will say that this film could have probably shot digital as the whole "this looks like film," it seemed to me at least, to be a bit suppressed. Granted, I am thrilled they opted to shoot film, and I think it was a proper choice in this instance, especially for some of the sequences in the film, but still, it looked a lot like every other film 'round-- celluloid or digitally originated and I personally had hoped for a bit more than that, you know.

I will say that make up FXs were pretty fantastic in the film-- with a few memorable exceptions-- and I think that as greatly helped by shooting film. I could only imagine how god awful it would've looked had they been shooting 5K (which by the bye worries me exceptionally for The Hobbit) . There were one or two moments in the film where I thought who I was looking at was an entirely new actor/actress-- and in which I was surprised to find out how mistaken I was.

• Premium Member

I had heard, through many degrees of separation, that the MUAs on it were having a hell of a time blending the orc make-up to make it look good. For whatever that is worth. The trailer I saw for Hobbit while @ Cloud Atlas was less than impressive to my eyes

Yes Adrian it was the orc things ! As far as i am concerned thay may as well have put on fancy dress masks on. What is going on ? A bit of diffusion on the lens to blend stuff like this and not the endless thing of using the sharpest lenses and best resolution . Its gotta be a weird RED thing .

Yes Adrian it was the orc things ! As far as i am concerned thay may as well have put on fancy dress masks on. What is going on ? A bit of diffusion on the lens to blend stuff like this and not the endless thing of using the sharpest lenses and best resolution . Its gotta be a weird RED thing .

I've been convinced for a loooooong time that the Hobbit thing is going to be a total car crash. It's either that or Peter Jackson is just having a bit of a giggle at our expense, but everytime I see new footage it tends to look worse not better! Like all those film stills that were proudly circulated with badly blown out highlights and worse. I don't think it can just be blamed on the camera either as I've seen a few nice things shot on the red cameras now and again, it's something to do with the thinking and I don't get it.

Suffice to say I'll be giving it a miss. Much more interested in seeing cloud atlas and looper and that new Anna Karina movie that looks so beautiful.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I think this looks really interesting, 3 directors and 2 cinematographers, filming an unfilmable film on film! :)

I've nearly finished the book, which is as good a read as I've had in years, so very much looking forward to seeing how they translated Cloud Atlas to film. Different genres, different time periods, a Russian doll structure with stories nesting within stories.. seems an impossible task, although it's certainly full of visual potential.

Down here in Oz it's not getting released until late Feb, dagnabbit. Highly recommend the book, but I'll soon see if reading it first adds to the subsequent movie experience or just generates disappointment.