Day for Night Lighting

Cory Lonas

sorry for the repost but hopefully more people read the general discussion forum.

I am currently prepping to shoot in upstate NY for a short which has some scenes that are being shot as Day for Night. It will be my first time lighting something like this and was wondering if anyone had some tips and tricks about what works best and what to avoid? Production is on a tight budget but I will be able to score some smaller HMIs (m-18/ Joker 1600) as well as some LED panenls and couple new NILA LED lights on the cheap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shooting Day for Night for a short film soon too. From what I can gather the important things are:

1. Avoid framing in any sky

2. Shoot on an overcast day or at twilight to avoid contrasted shadows.

3. Backlight actors and do not key light them to strongly.

4. avoid fill light by using floppies as neg fill etc.

I'm new to this too so any other advice would be appreciated.

hello

rather use real, hard sunlight, as backlight. your lamps are not strong enough, at least on an overcast day, twillight might work better. a low standing sun works best. half shade, shadows of a tree for example can be interesting. blue filters or low white balance, also light diffusion filters work good. avoid anything in the frame that woul be lit in a real night, for example traffic.

enjoy!

sorry for the repost but hopefully more people read the general discussion forum.

I am currently prepping to shoot in upstate NY for a short which has some scenes that are being shot as Day for Night. It will be my first time lighting something like this and was wondering if anyone had some tips and tricks about what works best and what to avoid? Production is on a tight budget but I will be able to score some smaller HMIs (m-18/ Joker 1600) as well as some LED panenls and couple new NILA LED lights on the cheap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of good feedback here. In regards to camera technique, a lot of the old westerns were shot day for night. DPs would underexpose by one and half to two stops. Some would also use an 80C or 80A filter to give an overall cool cast to the image. Polarizer will help darken the sky