RIP Harris Savides ASC

Adam Frisch FSF

• Premium Member

It's my very sad duty to report that Harris Savides has just died. Harris had been sick for awhile, but was as far as I know doing better. Don't know the final cause of death. Not only a brilliant DP and a true legend in his own time, but also by all accounts from people that knew him - a true gent.

Safe journey.

Crushing news. Just noted last week that Harris shared the same birthday as my favorite painter, Caravaggio. Loved his work, my favorite music video of his, "Rain," is just inspirational. A fitting tribute on a rare rainy day here in Southern California... Rest in peace, Harris Savides..

Really devastated to hear this. Last I heard he was on the road to recovery. What a terrible loss.

http://stephenmurphydop.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/harris-savides-asc.html

You never mentioned that before! That's a great story! :)

At times like this it's great to hear nice stories about the people or to think of their work which lives on! I was very upset about the recent death of Chris Marker who was one of my favourite filmmakers but then I was remembering his film Sans-Soliel and it bought a big smile to my face! What a fantastic and beautiful film! :)

To that end I would remind UK people that Zodiac is available to watch for free on Blink Box!

http://www.blinkbox.com/Movies/28763/Zodiac

Just fire it up, shut off the sound and enjoy the magical pictures.

Also I can really recommend "Somewhere" by Sofia Coppola, I think it's much under-rated and is her best film bar the virgin suicides. Again nice work from Harris-Savides.

The really good news however, is that Mr Savides completed shooting a new work with Sofia called "The Bling Ring" about a bunch of teenagers who burgle celebrities homes. (Mostly Paris Hilton supposedly) So we can still enjoy more cinematography from him next year! :)

Very sad news. I heard he had been ill as well but thought he was in recovery and on the road to better health and was back to work. I have had the opportunity to work on several jobs (several commercials, one movie, and several film additional photography scenes) with him and he was noting but pleasant and a gentleman.

Best

Tim

It's my very sad duty to report that Harris Savides has just died. Harris had been sick for awhile, but was as far as I know doing better. Don't know the final cause of death. Not only a brilliant DP and a true legend in his own time, but also by all accounts from people that knew him - a true gent.

Safe journey.

• 2 months later...

I only got the news today! such a big loss for the cinema.

i feal verry sad, he was at the top of his career so many good films behind him at only 55.

so much knowledge, expérience gone

For a bunch of us in France we had a true respect and admiration for the art and kraft of this gentleman....

Goodbye Mr Savides and thank you for the show.... it was great movies, great moods, great emotions.