How to run sound and film synchrony

Hello all,

I am planning to shoot a little documentary film on s16mm soon and i am really looking forward to it. However, there are quite some technical questions.

I know that there are allot of topics here on cinematography and elsewhere about this topic, but they cannot really answer my question.

I have an eclair NPR which runs crystal sync at 24/50 24/60 or 25/50 (perfect tone motor) I will probably use an tascam dr-05. I did an test film with sound, which I digitalized (HD scan) but was unable to synchronize the sound with the image. I am not sure whether i made an mistake or the motor simply doesn't run crystal sync.

So my question is if i can use my tascam for the sound and what do I need to know to do it right? What do I really need to know about the settings for example to have in run synchrony in the first place?

I hope you guys with the knowledge can help me a few feet up. In this particular field i don't really know where to start, so help is much appreciated.

Thanks allot in advance

Looking at the Tascam specs I can't see why you shouldn't be able to use it. I'd check that your NLE audio is set up correctly for the sample frequency you're using. Also double check your frame rates setting.

There's also the possibly you could have a faulty camera motor.

Looking at the Tascam specs I can't see why you shouldn't be able to use it. I'd check that your NLE audio is set up correctly for the sample frequency you're using. Also double check your frame rates setting.

There's also the possibly you could have a faulty camera motor.

Thanks for the info's

Is there a way to check if the motor is faulty? There is a light indicator on the motor which in certain settings goes on, and other goes of. I am not sure if the lamp should be on or off when running crystal sync.... I've read conflicting topics about this.