Camera technicians in UK

Joseph Dudek

I'm currently looking into buying a K-3, though I would like to convert it to Super 16m, and with my incompetencies in doing fiddly things I want to know there is a competent technician who would be able to correct any of my mistakes - and also do things which I am to believe are difficult, i.e. adjust the viewfinder for S16. Now, I emailed some a renowned technician in the US who said that Super-16 conversion is a service they do not offer as it is not "economically viable".

Can anyone recommend a movie camera technician in the UK that deals with K-3 issues, should any arise?

In case you don't find anyone, I in the U.S. recommend Super 16 Inc (Bernie O'Doherty) and Du-All in NYC for that.

Funny. I didn't want to name anybody, but as you mentioned him, it was actually Bernie that I contacted, or at least his administrative partner. They politely explained they only do Ultra 16 conversions on K-3 (for "economic [reasons]", which I found to be odd as the name of their company is Super 16, Inc.

I assume they do maintenance and modifications on S16 cameras, as opposed to converts. Such as adjusting the viewfinder to match S16 format. Either way, I was disappointed at this realisation as even in the UK he is known as one of the best.

• Premium Member

They politely explained they only do Ultra 16 conversions on K-3 (for "economic [reasons]",

My guess is that to do a Proper Super 16 conversion, it is normal to recentre the lens. on the new larger frame, while ultra 16 the centre of the lens stays in the same spot. a LOT of custom work would be needed to move the lens over, and it would proably put the conversion cost well over the economic value of the finished camera.

• Premium Member

a LOT of custom work would be needed to move the lens over, and it would proably put the conversion cost well over the economic value of the finished camera.

Actually, all that is needed is a re-centered mount. The old one just unscrews and you put the new one on. Someone in Russia made up a bunch and was selling them on eBay a few years back. I think I picked it up for $79 or so and did the upgrade myself. Problem is finding it. I suppose I should take it over to a machine shop and ask them to copy it.

I would recommend having Bernie do the Laserbrighten process on your K3. Made a HUGE difference in the viewfinder. Not sure why he wouldn't do the Super 16 conversion but probably because he couldn't easily do it "right" with the re-centered mount and widened viewfinder. If you asked him just to widen the gate then he'd probably do it. Even the stock lens covers the Super 16 frame above 20mm or so.

I'm currently looking into buying a K-3, though I would like to convert it to Super 16m, and with my incompetencies in doing fiddly things I want to know there is a competent technician who would be able to correct any of my mistakes - and also do things which I am to believe are difficult, i.e. adjust the viewfinder for S16. Now, I emailed some a renowned technician in the US who said that Super-16 conversion is a service they do not offer as it is not "economically viable".

Can anyone recommend a movie camera technician in the UK that deals with K-3 issues, should any arise?

I've had Les Bosher do work on my cameras (Beaulieu R16, Eclair NPR), he's been friendly and helpful. I suspect he'd be more than capable of doing a super-16 conversion, but I rather suspect the time/cost involved would be vastly more than the camera's worth, ie. going back to Bernie's 'not economic' response. Might be worth contacting him though.