Best Scanning House

David Cunningham

• Premium Member

Does ANYONE here have any samples or know of any samples online for VideoFilmSolutions? I am intriqued by their pricing but I'd like to see their work. .22/ft for Best Light Spirit HD seems too good to be true. I wanted a full scan but .40/ft is a bit above my price point and I'm not equipped to handle uncompressed 2K anyway.

Would appreciate if someone has links to 16mm Spirit HD from VideoFilmSolutions.

Hi, Matthew,

Hmmm... I'm about 45 minutes north of downtown Sacramento.

Used to shoot around the capital and Capitol with a CP16 seen in your avatar picture back when Jerry Brown and I both had hair. Have been occasionally transferring some of my old film from then on my 16/35 MWA Nova VarioHD demo unit.

RE: VideoFilm Solutions... as I mentioned in another post just now:

Tom Aschenbach is the son of the co-founder of archiving's highly regarded Colorlab, which is located next door to VideoFilm Soutions.

Not sure about any business connection, but here's a Washington Post article from Sept. 4, 2012 that tells about Colorlab and mentions Tom as an "in house solution" to a problem mentioned in the article.

http://articles.wash...wick-colorlab/2

They are nice folks. Chatted with Russ at the AMIA Conference in Seattle last month.

Hope this is helpful.

Ted

• Premium Member

Tom is now a member of this site; perhaps he'll give us some insight into the FILM OUT process. I do recommend his company for 2K 16mm & 35mm scans (as well as HD scans). He can do flat passes or color them. I'm very impressed with his coloring skills as well. That sounds like he's doing really good in kindergarten. :)

• Premium Member

Tom is now a member of this site; perhaps he'll give us some insight into the FILM OUT process. I do recommend his company for 2K 16mm & 35mm scans (as well as HD scans). He can do flat passes or color them. I'm very impressed with his coloring skills as well. That sounds like he's doing really good in kindergarten. :)

Will, your word means a lot to me but nonetheless I would like someone to post a link. I have seen samples of Spectra, Cinelicious, Cinelab, and Colorlab. Some great work there. Haven't seen VideoFilmSolutions and really want to give them my business. However, my upcoming project is too important for me to go blind with this one. I'll do a camera test transfer if I have to with them but would still be nice if someone had a sample of their work.

Tom provided me a 1080p transfer of my 35mm print (blow-up from super16) and I will put together a sample and post it at Vimeo when I have a chance. I was pleased with his work.

I hope to have him do a 2k of the zero cut 16mm negatives later this year and from there I would have a 16mm preservation print made.

Edited by Matt Stevens

• Premium Member

Most of the pro work I can't share at the moment but here's some footage of my kid playing soccer that he processed and transferred. This was collected over several reels and not color corrected into a cohesive piece. Where it looks good it was Tommy, where it doesn't it was because he was asked for a flat pass and I attempted some quick color correction myself with mixed results. The flat footage was also on a cloudy day on really old film.

Rule of thumb; when you see blue skies it was where he did the color. That footage was shot on a non-reflex Eyemo.

• Premium Member

The blue sky footage was awesome. I look forward to sending him a test roll and seeing what I get. Thanks Will!

You can tell he took some time with it to get those skies which is nice. Next time I talk with him I'll ask him to put up a demo reel.

• Premium Member

I wish I could afford 35mm film and equipment. Amazing!

You totally can. That Eyemo cost me $300... I got lucky, but with Nikon glass it's a winner.

An Arri 2C can be had for around $1000. Film is cheap with short ends & recans available all over.

Good 35mm cameras like a BL3 or 4 or even an Arri III are being found for less than $3000 with everything you need.

You totally can. That Eyemo cost me $300... I got lucky, but with Nikon glass it's a winner.

An Arri 2C can be had for around $1000. Film is cheap with short ends & recans available all over.

Good 35mm cameras like a BL3 or 4 or even an Arri III are being found for less than $3000 with everything you need.

How do you work with the Eyemo? Do you buy 200ft 35mm on core loads and then re-spool onto your camera spools in a bad or dark room?

Does ANYONE here have any samples or know of any samples online for VideoFilmSolutions? I am intriqued by their pricing but I'd like to see their work. .22/ft for Best Light Spirit HD seems too good to be true. I wanted a full scan but .40/ft is a bit above my price point and I'm not equipped to handle uncompressed 2K anyway.

Would appreciate if someone has links to 16mm Spirit HD from VideoFilmSolutions.

So I edited a quick teaser of my first short film, shot on super16 back in 2001. Tom transferred my 35mm blow-up and as mentioned, it has flaws in the form of some stationary spots. Those will be erased (when I get around to it). I instructed Tom not to use any DNR of any kind. I probably could have allowed him to use it minimally in certain scenes, but eventually I will have him transfer the 16mm negative and want to have the 35mm as it actually is to compare.

Keep in mind Youtube turns video to mush. I'll post me PNG's when I get back from vacation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMFRPMHTiZ0

Edited by Matt Stevens

• Premium Member

How do you work with the Eyemo?

I have a ton of factory loaded Fuji 100' loads in my fridge (like 50 rolls) but I also buy short ends and long ends and spool them down to 100' cans/reels at my local lab.

For paying gigs I buy directly from Kodak on 100' loads. The only emulsion they stock that way now is Vision 3 500T.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just starting this thread back up as I have my scan test results from LaserGrahpics. This sample is a 2K scan of Super 8 on their new ScanStation, to be released in April.

Stay tuned for locations/opportunities to use the ScanStation for your next Super 8 project!

Edited by David Cunningham