Best Scanning House

David Cunningham

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Here is another Super 8 ScanStation 2K scan sample. This footage was shot this past summer on Vision3 50D (negative), Ektachrome 100D (reversal and Velvia 50D (reversal). I used a combination of a Pro814 (rebuilt Canon 814 AZ from Pro8mm) and a Canon 1014 XL-S. The scan was a flat 2K scan by Gamma Ray Digital in Boston. Grading and editing was done in Adobe Premiere Pro CC on a MacBook running 10.9.

Be sure to view it at 1440p. The grain is still squashed and muddied by Youtube compression, but it's not as bad as long as you set it to 1440p. I uploaded a 2K Prores 4444 file.

I've been very happy with the ScanStation for my own home movie projects. I still like Pro8mm (Millennium 2K) and Spectra (Spirit) for my wedding work because they are very good at grading and I get an easy to work with file back. Doing flat passes on the ScanStation ultimately yields better results, but lots more man hours of grading and rendering.

Pro8mm now has a 2K upgrade for their Millennium and the frame grabs I've seen look great. Looking forward to testing it out.

Edited by David Cunningham

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking for suggestions for scanning houses for 16mm and 8mm.

Hi David where are you located ? If you ( or other else) are in EU country, you could do a try for free to test and estimate. I no more upload scans because the web compression destroys the quality . I can do scans of 8-S8/max8, 9,5, 16/S16/U16 at 10bit 4:2:2 uncompressed for SD or 2K TIFF uncompressed image sequence (not movie file) output directly to hard disk. Both reversal and negatives. I think that is useless to describe the gears i use . The final output drives the choice. At this point i think that is useless to use Giga- K resolution scanners for S8 and 16 , the greatest job is done by operator (correct me if i am wrong).

Roberto