What camera should I buy?

Eric Barlow

Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum but I imagine I will be frequenting this forum for years to come.

I am a first year film student but I have been working with video production for years. I have used some amazing equipment in the past and I am looking to make an investment in a nice mid-grade professional camera to use over the next four years.

My budget is around $4,000.

I am looking at Canon, Panasonic, or Sony. But I obviously would like your opinions on brand and model.

I have been looking at the Canon XH A1S and the Panasonic HPX250. But I want any suggestions that you may have, not just these cameras.

I want the most for my money obviously, and something that can be used for many different types of film projects and support multiple types of media.

Thanks for the help!

• Premium Member

Save your money for the student loans you will eventually accrue. Only buy a camera when you have jobs which can pay it off. You're a student, I am sure your college should have some kind of equipment office which will grant you access to cameras to learn on. Use the stuff you've already paid for via tuition. Cameras change so quickly these days, any investment is really a loosing one without a lot of work lined up.