ARGO cinematrography

I watched ARGO , I thought it was in same time frame as MUNICH and had got good rating, Even though I dont admire too much of F word on screen,It was a good reenacment of the real life incident.I think the cinematrography,editing was quite good.I dunno which airport they choose but the shots were great especially the airplane scenes of landing an takeoff.The istanbul mosque wide angel shot was short but breathtaking in a way,you can feel the mediterenean atmosphere. I think the Argo cinematography is real cinema especially to film lovers beacuse of its Use of Super 8mm,16mm,and ofcourse 35mm..I was wondering what are everybodys thought on the film and use of super 8 and 16mm and blowing it up in a 35mm wide screen with very few grain...does that mean 8mm has possibility to blow up? what are your thoughts on Bens direction?

• 2 weeks later...

brad angelina clooney and now affleck.

all working for nato telling a simple tale of mad bad folks of iran wow great timing.

netanyahoo of israel wants a war with iran afleck gets his funding from his friends and family in hollywood paedo land.

beware of these controlled stooges they care about themselves the empathy is as fake as the smiles.

sorry i have not seen it but i am sure it will look good as affleck was running out of options with his run of turd movies

brad angelina clooney and now affleck.

all working for nato telling a simple tale of mad bad folks of iran wow great timing.

netanyahoo of israel wants a war with iran afleck gets his funding from his friends and family in hollywood paedo land.

beware of these controlled stooges they care about themselves the empathy is as fake as the smiles.

sorry i have not seen it but i am sure it will look good as affleck was running out of options with his run of turd movies

So your saying this movie is a American propaganda for war...Well could be.. But the movie has a good cinematography

I have not read any articles on this yet, but I suspect they made a rule that everything that takes place on US soil was shot on the Alexa and everything that takes place in Iran was shot on film (looks like mostly 35mm except for the opening sequence where they incorporated 16mm and 8mm).

This is great to know going in as you really get a very nuanced look at the differences between the two since they are constantly cutting back and forth between the two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

According to the ASC this month, the only Alexa stuff was shot in Turkey. US was 35mm, as was most of the film 2 perf and anamorphic I believe (but not 100% on that) with S8mm and S16mm for select things.

2-perf is a natively wide-screen format (it's why its so cost-effective, it's half the size of 4-perf) - so you wouldn't shoot 2-perf with anamorphics because you'd be stretching a frame that's already wide-screen.

I loved the film though, terrifically tense stuff.

So I guess even digital was used in ARGO...I personally dont like alexa as the main tool of cinematrographers.

was the turkey mosque scene shot on film?

was the plane landing in tehran shot on film?

they used Alexa only for small sequence.They shot entire movie in Turkey (not iran)

They did not shoot the entire movie in Turkey. They filmed in California, Washington DC/Virginia, and Turkey (maybe one more Middle Eastern Country?) The Alexa was used for the scene in the Hagia Sophia, and for a night driving shot in Washington DC.

• 9 months later...

I just saw "Argo" yesterday (hey. I lost HBO for a while, what can I say.) If ANYONE thinks Ben Affleck doesn't deserve an Oscar, watch this movie!! It also has one of the greatest line in film history:

Tony Mendez: Can you teach somebody to be a director in a day?

John Chambers: You can teach a rhesus monkey to be a director in a day.

I about busted a gut with that one. Great stuff. I know I'm digging up old news but it's news to me. If my script on a similar subject is HALF as good as this, I'll be a happy man!