Elmo 1012s-xl Filter Selection Switch

Cj Edmond

Hello,

Yesterday I received my Elmo in the mail, but the filter selection knob (switch) is missing from the camera, which I was notified of. This led me to believe that the internal filter was removed but when pressing the notch switch inside the cartridge compartment I heard the filter moving. Is there anyway to tell which fuction is selected before getting my film processed??

Going off my clues I believe tungsten is selected due to the filter that came on the camera. It's not an 85 filter and the camera itself is in mint condition besides this switch missing and there are no marks that suggest it was broken off. So to conclude my Sherlock Homles investagation I would be led to believe and hope that tungsten is selected and that the switch was removed on purpose. With that said I am very confused trying to shoot a test roll.

My second question is if the switch its set to daylight then what could I do other then paying extra to get the interior filter removed competely?

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the great camera - i've been using one for a while now, never any problems and great results.

Personally i find the filter switch fiasco quite confusing - I actually made a post last year inquiring about it (got great feedback and help)

basically you have to remember that this camera was built with Tungsten style film in mind - therefore the camera will be expecting Tungsten type cartridges - so with that in mind, my guess would be that it disables the internal filter (when you press the notch switch) ...but then again, thats just a guess.

In terms of your test roll - what film stock are you using - you could select one that is notched to either disable or enable the filter switch - that way when you shoot it - you'll probably have a better idea as to what the filter is doing once pressed

but overall - like all cameras - you have to shoot a test roll ANYWAY - just to see if its even working - so use this opportunity to shoot various lighting scenarios inside and out and hopefully with the footage you'll be able to work out the conundrum

Make sure to choose a colour stock for the test shoot

then again...you could just contact the ebayer you bought it from and ask about the switch?

best'a luck anyway

The Elmo, in common with virtually all Super-8 cameras, was meant to be used with tungsten stock filtered for daylight so the default position for the 85 is in. What you hear is the filter swinging out of position- if you look carefully through the lens you should be able to see it moving. You may also notice the orange colour.

Assuming you can't replace the switch, or work it with a pencil or something, you will only be in difficulty if you need to use a daylight stock- even then you could tape the cartridge so the filter is retracted.

There's a manual here

http://www.apecity.c...acro_manual.pdf

Edited by Mark Dunn

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, guys

I went and took matters into my own hands and actually came up with the conclusion you guys offered. I ended up opening the gate aiming the lens towards some light and figured out that the switch was set to daylight so the filter is in place. I also figured out the whole notching the cartridge thing. I went to NY last week and bought a Vision 200T color negative stock for a test roll because they didn't have 100D. Yet Im scared that the ASA is too fast for the Elmo but thats all they had. The film that came in the camera was old and it was also black and white. Lastly thanks for the manual!

I'm planning on shooting a short so I need to get this film developed hopefully the camera is working lol, it seems like it does but I wont really know until the transfer.

Edited by Cj Edmond

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

Thanks for this thread. I'm actually in a similar situation as the OP as I purchased an Elmo 1012s-XL off of eBay and the filter selection switch is completely missing.

On mine it appears the built-in filter is in the "ON" position, because when I push the metal button on the inside of the camera where the cartridge goes I can see it moving out of position when held against the light. It also moves out of position when I insert the test roll I bought, a Pro8mm roll of 500 ASA Daylight balanced film. Considering I plan on shooting only in daylight or under daylight balanced indoor bulbs, I'm guessing the color will be fine because the cartridge moves the filter out of the way.

Is my thinking correct?