How would you light this?

Berry Spinx

If you were shooting in a studio how would you light this (excluding the window)? Also, you have access to a grid above the set.

I'm shooting for the first time in a studio for a school project and would like some tips and advice as I obviously value the opinion of those who are more experienced. thank you in advance.

http://i.imgur.com/SFtkb.png

Edited by Berry Spinx

This seems like a pretty simple overhead lighting setup,

1 (backlight) a light on the wall, and the standing guy

2 the key light almost above the camera pointing down on the table extending to the hands on the table.

3 One filling the guy right at the table.

angled, netted lighting is what you want,

I would focus on lighting each person to attain the highlight contrast, then light the background to fit or vice versa.

Edited by zachary sala

Hey,

I'd say the main source is definitely a rectangular overhead diffusion frame over the table that also gives some backlight effect on the main characters. The lantern must be hung quite low, I'd say just above the frame, (so the effect on the hair is exacerbated due to the inverse square law).

Some poly bounce and the white papers ont the table provide fill on the actor's faces.

A diffused light on the guy in the background, making sure that the contrast matches with the foreground.

Something like, I'd say, single tube 4ft kinos gelled in 1/8 blue provide the blue-ish ambience for the room.

And of course a light outside on diffusion gelled windows.

G.

• 1 month later...