Chase Jenks

Ok, so I have been searching all over the net and there tends to be little information about these cameras. If anyone has any information it would be appreciated. I know Keystone has long since gone bankrupt and so information on their products have become scarce. Also, a manual or technical information would be appreciated to. I don't mean to inconvenience anyone so, i appreciate any help offered.

I have a Keystone Capri K-30 camera, and it is in practically top notch shape, it seems to have a similar build to The K-26 model minus the other 2 additional lenses...so idk if that helps or is reliable. but, im trying to learn about this camera and what it can do and what are its limitations. and what i can do with it.

2nd im trying to find out how to switch out the battery, and where the battery compartment even is. cause i assume it runs on a battery.. and are their any batteries made nowadays or in production that will work for this camera.

also im trying to see if i can find information on how to load film into this camera, and how to use this camera. I know it uses 8mm film and Super 8 film (they may or may not be the same thing im not sure sadly), and you have to crank the lever., i just need to know the loading and operation procedures.

Also does anyone still produce 8mm film? does anyone have any websites to suppliers of such film.

What types of 8mm film are their, i know there is probably black and white film, and color film or im guessing black and white and color film exist....but, is film speed (ISO) a factor here? that may be a stupid question, i mean i assume so. do these have a set shutter speed or a changeable shutter speed?

Second is developing 8mm film similar to developing 35mm, medium format, or large format films like for still cameras like you would do in a photography class?

I haven't Googled it to be sure but I'm pretty certain a Keystone Capri K30 is an old wind-up 8mm model.

You can still get 8mm film and processing. I think that model usually has a 1/2" Egleet F1.9 lens which works pretty well too.

Loading the film is quite straightforward and you have to turn it round midway but 8mm isn't ever as easy as loading a Super 8 cartridge.

Glad to see someone take an interest in Regular 8! Yes film is still available. You can get it from Spectra (http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com/)

Developing is similar to darkroom developing for reversal films. You'll need a 16mm developing reel for your tank. Or a lab can do it for you. You can buy the film from Spectra with developing included.

Super 8 comes in a cartridge. Your camera is Regular 8 though, which comes on reels. Loading shouldn't be too hard.

Most R8 cameras load like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKNaDU_R1hE

The biggest drawback to R8 is that it isn't a reflex camera. If you're comfortable with a measuring tape, distance scale and light meter you'll do just fine.

cool, i have access to a lab. but, its set up for photography film developing for B&W film for still cameras. I know that motion cameras and still photography cameras (SLR's, Rangefinders, and etc.) Photography and FIlm have alot in common since film kinda evolved from photography to a degree. but, im not sure how or if developing film compares between developing film for still photos, and a 8mm roll film/Motion camera film. but, if developing black and white film is the same then i can do it myself. color on the other hand id probably have to send off. or well i know of some places here that can develope color film, i can probably check if they can develope 8mm 2.

All the film stock available for Regular 8 is reversal. So it's exactly like developing slide film. Usually, it's the exact same stock. All you'll need are 16mm reels for the tanks. And you'll need some way to slice the film right down the middle after developing. It's easier than developing for photos, since you don't have to mount them after developing. Just roll it back up and you're ready to project.

I think Ektachrome is going to be it for choices these days though. The film buisness is dying. It is possible to develop in a standard tank, but it might be easier to just send out.

• 1 month later...

The good news is that both of these cameras do not need batteries. They are purely mechanical and are powered by winding up the lever on the side of it. Also, both of your cameras take regular 8mm film, not super 8. (Regular 8mm is sometimes referred to as "double 8mm" due to the fact that a reel of regular 8mm film comes from 16mm film that is modified so that it can be exposed a second time on the other side of the film.) It is better explained here http://www.filmtransfer.com/film-faqs

In terms of loading, Zac Fettig posted a good video but part 2 (watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjMtkNaQ5kw ) of that video may be more informative to your camera type. I have a Keystone K-25 which loads similar to how the Brownie camera in "part 2" loads, and from the looks of it my K-25 is very similar to your K-26 and K-30.

Luckily you can still buy 8mm film, in color and in black in white. As Zac said you can buy it from Spectra, but also from http://www.zerelda.com/internationalfilm/internationalfilm.html If you live outside of the US there are also other sellers in various countries.

In terms of processing this website seems to be the cheapest http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/movies-ektachrome.html

Your ISO is definitely important to keep in mind when adjusting your f/stop. However it's my understanding that as long as you have the correct film gauge for your camera (aka 8mm, Super 8, 16mm, 35mm) you can use any ISO.

In terms of changing your shutter speed, if it's capable of changing shutter speed your camera will have some kind of notch to adjust it. My K-25 can't change shutter speed or frame rates, it doesn't even have a focus ring. If your cameras are like mine then I believe the only thing we can change is the f/stop. I've been digging around for information also and from what I can gather, old 8mm cameras usually have a shutter speed of 1/30 and a set frame rate of 16 fps, and newer models did 18 fps. However, that's generally speaking and it doesn't necessarily mean your cameras are like that.

Hope that helps. Good luck, dude!