handheld with the Arri 35-III

I have a shoot comming up with the Arri 35-III. Most of the second half of the project (a spec commercial) will be handheld. Having never shot with the Arri 35-III I was wondering if anyone has any tips to get the camera balanced so it handles well on the shoulder. ( I ask this because the camera body seems to be way "out front" of the viewfinder, thus making it almost impossible to put up on you shoulder like you do with the Arri 435)

My best guess currently is to get an extended sliding base plate and adjust the long tounge out the back to rest on my shoulder.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

shoulder mags exists but it's rare, without, it's a nightmare to handle !!! after 10 mm your arms will be shaking like hell

short view finder comes with a dedicated door but you won't have video with this item.

long rods could be a solution but the best is to find the proper mag even if you have only one, it makes so much of a difference

I agree - save the prod money and get a 2C. Every gram will add up after an hour or two. Get a PA to act like a steadicam assist and take the cam from you the second you stop rolling - share the load!

If you have to go with the 35 III - I have seen it put on a base plate with some foam taped to it - but it is heavy and uncomfortable. Make sure you have an assistant to give and take cam - so you spend the least amount of time with the unit.

thanks

Rolfe

• Premium Member

Well - for a short commercial it is doable - barely. It's a beast that leaves you with all the weight up front in your arms. I'd rather handhold a 535 to be honest with you. Couldn't you get a 235 - can't be much more exepnsive?

So? we are looking into other camera options. It is kind of funny that this has come to be such an issue for the production because I was told by the director ?you don?t light as good as the others I met with but your handheld work is absolutely amazing?. The project he saw was a music video I shot on a 435ES which handles well.

I guess the issue is this director has free access to an Arri 35-III for the weekend of the shoot. So anything except the 35-III will be a budget impact. We are looking into other options and I will let you know how it all falls out.

In the mean time any more suggestions would help (I may get stuck using it). Thanks for all your help so far.