FIRST TIME MAKING SHORT FILMS - AUDIO ADVICE

Hello,

I am hoping to soon delve into the world of film-making. I have had some experience with digital cameras but have decided to use Super 8 as I much prefer it aesthetically.

The camera I have isn't able to record sound because the sound cartridges are not made for it anymore. So I will need to externally record the audio.

What would be the best possible way of recording the sound separate from the camera? Do I need a boom mic and field mixer? If this is too expensive, is there still a cost effective way that will yield good results?

Jack.

Get yourself (rent can be cheaper) Zoom H4n or some other decent portable recorder with XLR inputs, a boom mic and a slate for syncing audio to video. You're ready to go =) Of course you can also add a couple of lav mics to your chain, but you'll have only one spare input on your recorder (which is ok for ENG work, but somehow I feel you're not going to shoot a documentary on 8mm =)

After more thought, I've figured that I could buy a boom mic and connect it to my KORG D4 multitrack recorder (which I use to record my music projects). Surely this is an acceptable option?

Yeah, it'll work, just don't forget about the slate =)

Yeah, it'll work, just don't forget about the slate =)

Ok cool :) .... I won't forget about the slate :) .... And I'll have a look into the Zoom H4n to cover my options. Seems a lot more portable. I may still choose my KORG D4 over the Zoom H4n.... I'll have to wait and see :)

Thanks anyway.

When you slate, be sure to slate at the head and tail of a take. You have to be ready just off camera with the slate, but just stick it in frame enough to catch the clap. This will really go a long ways to helping you achieve sync with out a sync camera. What kind of camera (make and model) are you using?

When you slate, be sure to slate at the head and tail of a take. You have to be ready just off camera with the slate, but just stick it in frame enough to catch the clap. This will really go a long ways to helping you achieve sync with out a sync camera. What kind of camera (make and model) are you using?

Ok thanks.... I will take on board your recommendation of slating at the head and tail of a take.

The camera I am using is a Bauer S 609 XL.

I have been informed by the guy who sold it to me that I will need an external light meter but I don't know which one to get and I haven't got a clue how to use one.

• Premium Member

Let me give you some pointers since Ive shot dialog with Super 8 and with decent success (eventually). 1) Make sure, like Chris said, to get head AND tail slating. Super 8 will drift a bit, even on a 50' roll. Syncng up head and tail slates is generally enough for drift not to be noticeable. 2) Shoot at 24 fps. Trying to do the ghostly 18 fps will not seem right for sound. 3) A mic and a field recorder arent enough to get good sound. You dont need a full scale mixer but you do need a preamp. If you have access to AC power, I recommend the cheap but crisp ART tube preamp from Guitar Center. $30 and it has a wonderful warmth that makes a cheap microphone sound like a Rode. Just dont jack the gain up too high or you'll get too much noise.

No preamp = too much noise to signal ratio and flat sound. Trust me on this.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shooting my 10min short with an Arri 16S and recording the sound off my Sony Z5 HDV camera placed right next to the Arri. It's connected to an Atomos Ninja so the audio is PCM digital. Two directional mics connected to the XLRs into the camera and you've got remote audio with minimal/sufficient mixing. Also the benefit of recording video in ProRes HQ... 1 slate at each end and hopefully sync heaven!

Maybe that helps?

SK