Lighting in train interior.....

hi this is sandeep ...i am going to shoot a train sequence...... with alexa

Generally in indian trains ...use 2 feet tube lights (5600) ...those are not sufficient to expose ..i wanna expose brightly .......

i am attaching some pics for reference ......

my plan is to attach same 2 feet keno tubes in each compartments ....i thought it create just ambiance ..... people who are going to sit in train ... the upper berths will block the light ....so give me idea to push lights for faces to expose brightly ..at the same time it should be natural ......

Thank uuuu

post-46462-0-08838400-1354821468_thumb.jpg

Light on the people sitting in lower part ....... refererence

img2012120300098.jpg

thru exterior ...

img2012120300099.jpg

img2012120300101.jpg

img2012120300100.jpg

So these are thee pics .... general exposure we get ...i wanna make this faces bright .... but it should look like natural ..i wanna expose in 5600 color temp ....

here my prob is ....the upper berth are getting proper exposure .... the people who are sitting n down ..the upper part is blocking light ..so,i wanna make a natural ambient look that it to expose brightly...

plz give me suggestion

yes Brain Drysdale

Unless you can get a power supply in the area you're filming, I'd use battery powered lights. Light the area you're using for the action to best effect, working at a lighting level that allows you to get a suitable exposure for the rest of the carriage. There are a number of hard and soft lighting units that operate at 12V.

I wouldn't even consider a lighting rig for an entire carriage with the public there, especially if you don't have lots of assistant directors. I haven't been on an Indian train, but I suspect they're like British trains at peak times. i.e. rather crowded. You don't want cables etc lying around for people to trip over.

• 3 weeks later...
Mini flo's maybe? They operate at 12V, and are very compact. You could mount them beneath the upper berths so they light up the down part. They generate a fair amount of light for their small size. You can use them with 3200K or 5500K tubes. Using the 5500K and adding some +green can get you in the same color range as the TL's that are already there. You could also do it with battery powered LEDs to completely avoid cables, but they are more expensive. Kino's could work too, but since they're larger you'll have a harder time rigging them, and you'll also have to deal with cabling.

Or, you can cross-light it. The light beneath the right upper berth pointing at the left lower part and vice versa. Should create more depth, look more pleasing, and feel more natural. I would also use diffusion either way.

Edited by Hyun De Grande