Running an Arri 1k off a car

It is possible, but probably more trouble than its worth and honestly not a good idea. Get a generator and save yourself a headache. Car batteries aren't designed for prolonged output of continuous power, especially not a 1K Arri. Do you really want to take the chance of stranding yourself out in a remote location with no vehicle power and no lights?

Get a little HONDA generator or something. You probably know somebody who has one already, if not they can usually be rented for $75/day. Your local rate may vary though, that's what they cost here in Atlanta.

Good luck, stay safe out there.

• Premium Member

You can buy small portable gennies for a few hundred bucks too; might be a worthwhile investment just to have on hand. they're nothing to write home about; but could be just the thing if you're shooting a lot at night in woods--- keep that and a Pa4 64 handy for whenever you need that on light right over there

• Premium Member

Par64, also known as a Par Can or a Rock and Roll par is a very cheap, very powerful 1K PAR Tungsten light. I think they go for like $139 or so for the whole thing. It's a broad stroke light, but has a decent throw, and you can soften it up nicely with a silk on a c-stand if you'd like.

I find them most useful to mimic street-lights (rigged up high) or to create shafts of light, let's say, in a forest at night. For the price, it's hard to beat.

Unlike a focuable light, PAR 64s rely on the bulbs. So you have a Wide Flood (WF) Medium Flood (MF) NarrowSpot (NS) and Very Narrow Spot (VNSP) and you change the bulb out to change the light throw. Kinda a pain in the rear; but for the price I don't mind it.

You'll often seen them at concerts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAR64#Types