Star Trek Into Darkness Trailer

• Premium Member

Often times, I wonder, whatever happened to SciFi.

I am going to of course see into darkness, as I feel obliged to, because I love star trek so much. Yet, at the same time, this testosterone overdrive really rubs me the wrong way. Its not, what I think, trek has nor should be about.

The shot of the hands is an echo of the end of Star Trek 2.

I noticed that! I wonder what they are up to with that given that the new star trek is supposed to be a parallel reality...

I thought that was one of the more interesting things in the trailer and Benedict is probably going to be great as Mr Evil too I'm sure!

love

Freya

Often times, I wonder, whatever happened to SciFi.

I am going to of course see into darkness, as I feel obliged to, because I love star trek so much. Yet, at the same time, this testosterone overdrive really rubs me the wrong way. Its not, what I think, trek has nor should be about.

I can kind of see what you mean but, I guess we can't be sure that it isn't just the way the trailer has been cut, maybe to make it appear more exciting. I do find the trailer a bit strange if that is the case.

...and the other thing is if this is really as influenced by Prometheus as it appears to be, then why are they trying to emulate a trailer of a film that didn't end up being all that successful (although I guess you could argue that it had a strong up front marketing campaign that got people into cinemas early on)

Dunno.

Did you get to see Looper Adrian?

love

Freya

• Premium Member

Nah I haven't seen looper yet; but it's on my blu-ray buy list.

As for the trailer, given the first Star Trek film from JJ, I am pretty sure this will be overly action based and enjoyable, if only for a younger set.

For me, I grew up with TNG, DS9, and yes, I'll admit to watching it, Voyager. Granted, this is an alternate universe of TOS, but still, the whole new re-imagining seems to antithetical to what trek felt like. These films just don't "feel," like trek, much as the prequels to star wars, while still star wars, didn't "feel," right.. If that makes any sense.

As for the Prometheus connection; I suppose it's just a copycatting. Due to the need to put something out quickly, something which generates buzz, why think when you can look to something which was, as you mention, already successful.

Speaking of reminding one of Prometheus:

http://trailers.appl...dent/storage24/

way to steal some of the sounds and score ;)

But nice to know what happened to Micky/Ricky Smith.. No Dr this time I'm afraid.

O.M.G. !! How did you find that! I love the idea of shooting it all in a storage facility, kinda creative. I'm sure that they just had connections that allowed them to shoot in a storage facility! :)

love

Freya