Kodak stops production of Ektachrome 100D

Jurgen Lossau

Wow, that's good.

Has that been noise-reduced to kill the grain a little? I notice a bit of smearing in the grain, but none in real detail, so if it's been NR'd, it's been NR'd with an appropriately light touch. I may be seeing compression artefacts, which can look similar.

It could of course be dustbusted too.

I think the grain smearing is the compression. The download version looks better, although still some.

• Premium Member

I work in broadcasting as an engineer and what this shows me is that a person with the skills to frame, shoot, light and tell a story using this on Super 8 or 16 is going to be able to get stuff on screen for a cost at a quality that a black magic etc is going to struggle to match under similar conditions.

There are just two things that I would add to the quality of these pictures to further :

1. Audio - gotta be superb

2. Kodak has gotta put some marketing muscle behind this product.

It will be interesting if some DOPs start using this in 35.

Here is a little test that I filmed with Vision3 50d. This film has almost no grain and very high definition, love it!

The film transfer is made in Ochoypico.

https://vimeo.com/62358313

Yes, is shot with a super 8 Beaulieu 4008 ZM2.

Was it a Schneider 6-66 or 6-70 lens?

It is certainely a nice demonstration what imagery can be captured with this combo.

It should boost the sales value of Beaulieu 4008 Schneider sets :)

If the film functions this well there are some other sets who should bring out the same.

Likely it is Ektar rather than the reverse.

One would hope the designers of this camera and the lens-team, when still alife, are shown this clip of film. :)

But possibly they were quite aware what was possible with the machine.

They must have the tested the lens with low-ISO film which was then as sharp as could be but which now seems available in a regular film.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• Premium Member

Another thing about this example of 50D is that I assume it used the plastic pressure plate of the super 8 cart (i.e. the slip in metal pressure plate you can buy here in Europe wasn't used). It would be interesting to see if there is any further inprovement in resolution if DS8 was used but I suppose Kodak is not releasing any 50D in DS8?

Why is the left edge of the film (on the side of the hole) is clear then it is a negative film inverted in positive?

It seems to me that if the image is positive, the film edges and perforation must be black.

They are transparent when the image is negative.

CCxssJmrlg2_7203.jpg

CCxssiDOwJx_positif.jpg

Hi Joel, I read in another forum you said that this could be a fake, it is not, is real Kodak does not pay me for it. It is true that there is some grain reduction and focus, but very little.
The reasons to make it look different from other tests, are:

1 - I am a professional and I know what I do.
2 - excellent lens.
3 - Film Transfer excellent.
4 - Post excellent.
5 - The Kodak V3 50d is an excellent film with great detail and very little grain.

Here two frames with and without post.

I hope you stay calm, the 50D is capable of these results in Super 8

Sorry for my english

sinpost.jpg

conpost.jpg

• Premium Member

Hi Jeremy, but be careful because not all cameras work well, in my canon 1014 xls given me problems. In Beaulieu zm2 works great.

Thats interesting as the 1014 is listed on the GK website as one of the cameras tested as working with the pressure plate. Could it be that a camera needs to be CLA'd to work well with the pressure plate? I hope it works because I have a number of 1014s and 814s I am gradually CLA'ing and restoring (they have recurring issues where things get clagged up and carts can jam in them but it doesn't take much to clean and lube those particular spots) and just one 155 macrozoom (another camera listed as working with the plate).

Jose, great pictures!

However Joel is right that with neg the perf holes would be black. Is this maybe scanned from an S8 contact print?

Can you elaborate a bit on your post workflow? Which scanner, what file format used (DPX 2K log?), what kind of degraining/sharpening etc...

Did you overexpose the 50D to tighten up the grain even more?

Marc,for technical questions about the scan, I will say that from tomorrow ochoypico forum to explain. With respect to the post, basically consists of cleaning a little grain image and applying unsharp mask. In the case 50d is minimal, because it is very sharp and without grain.

Regarding the question of how to shoot the v 50d, I did a 40 asa to minimize grain.Vimeo'm going to a small video in which you see the movie before and after the post. I'll put the link when finished.