Kodak stops production of Ektachrome 100D

Jurgen Lossau

There's no doubt about it, V50D is an amazing film as we can all see from Jose's experience and superior lens etc. However, we are still discussing Ektachrome aren't we, or is it already forgotten ? It seems that this subject of the discontinuance of Ektachrome touches on the wider question of how long we will have E6 colour. Colour reversal film in all its forms has been with us for three quarters of a century. Surely we can't write it all off just because Kodak has finally come up with a great negative film,( and very convenient for them to slit down to super-8 etc.)

Negative does of course rule in cinema analog filming, but for years small independent folks have been making films on colour reversal that probably would never ever have been made on neg. Two reasons I can think of:

1. So much cheaper to see the result. A scan or print is not compulsory, at least at first. Either of these potentially risks damage to the film.

2. Dust and dirt come out black, not white which is generally far more obtrusive. I saw some specks on your film Jose :unsure:

Regarding the cost question though, I meet people almost every day who are trying to get involved in film, but who I think will be put off by neg. They want to see and touch the film as it comes back from the lab. Study those tiny images on the lightbox etc.

Ditching reversal is a bit like telling artists they have to paint in water-colour from now on, no oils allowed.

Doug

http://www.filmisfine.co

Based on Jose's most recent post, I think the reason the left side of the frame is white is due to the scanner having some sort of gate mask going on. Notice that the left border is perfectly steady despite the perforation and the right border bouncing around.

As for E6 Super 8, I think we will have at least a 4-5 more years. With Spectra and others producing Velvia 50D and now Whitner producing AGFA 200D we have good options on the market. Plus, we have a flood of E100D out there. People are over pricing it and/or freezing it/hording it. But, it's out there. Remember Kodakchrome processing continued for 4 years after it's discontinuation and it's STILL available for sale on Ebay. LOL

So long as small film companies such as AGFA and ORWO continue to produce alternatives to Fuji and Kodak you will continue to have many options, including E6. With Kodak canceling E100D, I think Velvia's sales will boom and keep the market going for a while. With two major players on the market they were kinda eating at each other rather than helping those of us shooting reversal. Now the one remaining major player can have the whole market to keep it going for a while.

Hello,

First I´d like to introduce myself, my name is José Luis Sanz and I´m the owner of Ochoypico ( www.ochoypico.com )

My English is not very good but I think you all will be able to understand me

We have scanned theSuper 8 Vision 3 50D film fom José Luis Villar

I first want to thank the words and interest about the quality of our work. It makes me feel very proud that some of you could think that the images are not telecine of Super 8 film

I write here because JL Villar has asked me to clarify here the reasons why you see the white border in the left side of the frame.

The reason is very simple: that is a black mask under the scan gate, the mask is not in the same plane than the film so you see the mask out of focus, that is the reason you can see the perf partially degraded. Obviously in the negative scan that black mask is seen white

You can see other examples of our work here:

url="http://ochoypico.com/super8-telecine-english/?cat=5"]http://ochoypico.com/super8-telecine-english/?cat=5[/url

If you look at the video named "Minimal 21-La mare absent" (also here ) you can clearly see what I mean, even at the begining after the white leader you can see some frames with transparent film in the scan gate. This film was S8 Kodachrome

Other info:

The white spots you can see in the film are courtesy of Andec. We do not offer negative cleaning service and this film was scanned as came from the laboratory, it came without special cleaning or prep for telecine

In our scan system we can control light, color, gamma, detail, noise, etc, So, here we made some correction for all this parameters, In this case we made minimal correction because the DOP wanted to test this emulsion without correction.

We can offer a whole correction, but professional clients usually want a "raw" file and later they give the final look in post (as in this case made José Luis Villar joseluisvillar.es ). With a good 10 bit 4:2:2 1080 scan you can make wonderful things in post. And Vision 3 50D is a very fine grain and beautiful film

Any other question I´ll be glad to answer, but, please be patient, work don´t let me too much free time for looking at the forum, you can also contact me at info@ochoypico.com

Regards

José Luis Sanz

Edited by Jose Luis Sanz
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

First I´d like to introduce myself, my name is José Luis Sanz and I´m the owner of Ochoypico ( www.ochoypico.com )

My English is not very good but I think you all will be able to understand me

We have scanned theSuper 8 Vision 3 50D film fom José Luis Villar

I first want to thank the words and interest about the quality of our work. It makes me feel very proud that some of you could think that the images are not telecine of Super 8 film

I write here because JL Villar has asked me to clarify here the reasons why you see the white border in the left side of the frame.

The reason is very simple: that is a black mask under the scan gate, the mask is not in the same plane than the film so you see the mask out of focus, that is the reason you can see the perf partially degraded. Obviously in the negative scan that black mask is seen white

You can see other examples of our work here:

url="http://ochoypico.com/super8-telecine-english/?cat=5"]http://ochoypico.com/super8-telecine-english/?cat=5[/url

If you look at the video named "Minimal 21-La mare absent" (also here ) you can clearly see what I mean, even at the begining after the white leader you can see some frames with transparent film in the scan gate. This film was S8 Kodachrome

Other info:

The white spots you can see in the film are courtesy of Andec. We do not offer negative cleaning service and this film was scanned as came from the laboratory, it came without special cleaning or prep for telecine

In our scan system we can control light, color, gamma, detail, noise, etc, So, here we made some correction for all this parameters, In this case we made minimal correction because the DOP wanted to test this emulsion without correction.

We can offer a whole correction, but professional clients usually want a "raw" file and later they give the final look in post (as in this case made José Luis Villar joseluisvillar.es ). With a good 10 bit 4:2:2 1080 scan you can make wonderful things in post. And Vision 3 50D is a very fine grain and beautiful film

Any other question I´ll be glad to answer, but, please be patient, work don´t let me too much free time for looking at the forum, you can also contact me at info@ochoypico.com

Regards

José Luis Sanz

Amazing stuff Jose. I was pretty certain of the left side mask.

May we ask what telecine machine you are using? I'm in the USA and currently testing machines. I can't send tests or future scans all the way to Spain even if the scans are fantastic. So, I'm hoping I can find the same scanner here in the USA.

Thanks!

FYI ALL, I messed around a bit with After Effects and the Neat Video plugin and the results are fantastic. With only a bit of tweaking my underexposed Super 8 500T actually looks good! I'm going to mess with it a bit more and then try to post samples/examples.

Dave

Hello again,

David, I´m sorry but our scanner is a frame by frame scanner designed and built by us, you will not find one of this there, basically the secret is a good tranport system, an excellent lens and a really good 3 CCDs HD sensor, these things plus some electronic controls, a good monitor, a wave form monitor a vectorscope and a good and experienced operator, that´s all :)

About the post you can find several software that can do the work (Nuke, Avisynth, etc) For this video we used Neat Video and Premiere, it works well in post, but the important thing is the quality of the scan, you need a good picture for getting the best in post

The scan should be real HD with a lot of resolution but without any electronic detail added. Also the color resolution is important too (forget about sensors with Bayern color filter).

A HD 10 bit uncompressed file is enough, I have not tryed 2k or 4k yet, but I don´t think this could be better

Ah! A good film stock, camera and lab and good cameraman also helps ;)