THE END of Ektachrome

James Compton

Why is it so difficult to speak to Kodak, why is this company shrouded in mystery please?

It's like any large company...it isn't so much they are difficult to speak to or that they are shrouded in mystery...it's obtaining access to the upper level management that requires a little time.

BTW, the Gas Station Scene video clip you posted earlier made my day. I can't tell you how hard I laughed...I swear I nearly passed out!

Edited by Ernest Fleet Dalby
  • Upvote 1

Here is an interesting video of Charmain & CEO Antonio M. Perez discussing Kodak's "Clear Path to Emergence" (from the Kodak blog):

http://www.uvioo.com...t&v=nR2DfMRraKo

and here is a very, very good article on Kodak's future potential, as well as how these discontinued products may re-emerge...a fascinating read...

http://www.southcoas.../NEWS/212230347

Edited by Ernest Fleet Dalby

Ernest,

Thanks--that last article is wonderfully articulate and hopeful. Please do contact me if you get anywhere with Kodak, I can give you some names of businesses and filmmakers who would support the effort. (Anyone reading this who works at Kodak? Willing to do the right thing and help?--we're only asking for information at this point.)

As the article said, I for one would gladly pay more for a consistent supply of a color reversal film. But consistency has to be one of the clear benefits of any large increase in price. There's no way people can finish, or even begin projects, without reliable supply.

Ernest,

Thanks--that last article is wonderfully articulate and hopeful. Please do contact me if you get anywhere with Kodak, I can give you some names of businesses and filmmakers who would support the effort. (Anyone reading this who works at Kodak? Willing to do the right thing and help?--we're only asking for information at this point.)

As the article said, I for one would gladly pay more for a consistent supply of a color reversal film. But consistency has to be one of the clear benefits of any large increase in price. There's no way people can finish, or even begin projects, without reliable supply.

Absolutely. I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones who recently managed to get a final 16mm order. And I feel sorry for those film-makers across the world who missed out. Now all that concerns me personally is a few years more of E6 labs, so I can get current project done.

Why is this crazy situation is upon us ? Hope Ernest you can find out more from horse's mouth. Like Timoleon, I would order a reasonable quantity (when current fridge load is gone) though probably somewhat less than several thousand $ worth per year. Who else out there ? How can they take away Ektachrome in all the formats etc it just is too mad for words, Ok it maybe is more hassle for Kodak than making Tri-X, but it's at least as unique and special. Why oh why didn't they advertise the stuff a little. Why the secrecy these last 10 years or so...

Doug

http://www.filmisfine.co

According to some sources the decision to cut E-6 film was made by people not in Kodak but by people steering the process of Kodak emerging from chapter 11 -- that is, a control group. Apparently the price changes were also driven by them.

Sad for E-6, but if this helps the company to return and keep manufacturing film, it's far better option than Kodak stopping all film business.

...and here is a very, very good article on Kodak's future potential, as well as how these discontinued products may re-emerge...a fascinating read...

http://www.southcoas.../NEWS/212230347

"irregular performance adds a bit of chance to the results — which, for a certain kind of person, one who's deliberately rejecting the clean digital image, is almost the point of shooting film."

I could add to that but not improve upon it. I spent years trying to figure out how to make vhs interesting, I couldn't - digital is even worse, only photographic emulsion is subtle enough to be a creative photo medium in its own right.

But toy cameras are toy cameras - my cine cameras (some of them) have lenses to die for and I need film for them, bottom line.

Kodak should solve its motion picture film crisis by creating its own Mission Impossible Project as a separate entity but staffed with old (and some new) Kodak hands plus enthusiast-entrepreneurs. That way if the mini project still goes belly up - which I doubt, every other person you meet around the world is screaming for Kodak film, Paul Simon even wrote a song about it - it will have less impact on the 'New Kodak' and its Chapter 11 business plan.

Thanks for those excellent links :)

Ric

...the Gas Station Scene video clip you posted earlier made my day. I can't tell you how hard I laughed...I swear I nearly passed out!

That is one of the funniest films I have ever seen, and I saw it when I was 7, and I still find it one of the funniest films I have ever seen!

:D