Trucolor HS by PRG

Rolfe Klement

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rolfe,

I actually had a chance to play with this light a little bit and I have to say I was very convinced by the remote phosphor technology.

All the good things they say about this light are true. Continuous spectrum, no green/magenta tint, dimmable, no flicker, etc...

I only tried the 3200K panel, and it was impressive not being able to tell whether the light was coming from an LED or a tungsten lamp: it felt very "organic". Great technology. Also, it is very soft because the LEDs are not pointed forward or even bounced onto a white surface: the panel itself is the light emitter, and glows in reaction to the blue (and UV ?) radiation of the LEDs behind it.

Nilas and Creamsources for example, are great efficient sources that create a lot of lumens per watt, but they have a more standard technology and don't have nearly as good a color temperature and CRI as the Trucolor. They are also harder sources and need diffusion to avoid multiple shadows (one for every LED...).

The Trucolor is a great light for documentary, run and gun situations or even car day exteriors (through the windshield) : it seemed so bright that I can see it competing against the sun as fill light, at close to medium range.

G.C.