DIY 12v 5-7A compact battery based on DeWalt power tools. Please help.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Hi, please help me build battery for 16mm Kinor 16 CX 2M. Battery should be 12v 5-7A. At the moment I'm using a motorbike sealed battery, but it's heavy and it takes long to charge it.

I saw some people convert DeWalt 12v batteries to use them with Arriflex cameras, which is basically the same as Kinor. I need it to be with 4 pin XLR

connection and at the same time to have original connector to charge it using original charger.

If anybody can post some king of plans, schemes or pictures how to do it I'd be very greatfull. Thanks.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Here are some pictures, I want to fixe it to the camera like on first picture. So I can move the camera freely without lods of cables running to the battery.

longvalleyequip.com/adapter.php

• Premium Member

If I wanted to do that, I'd just buy some nickel cadmium or nickel metal hydride cells and put them in a box with an XLR on it. I've done this a few times and it's a fairly low cost way to obtain batteries.

I actually have some parts here now that I bought to do this with - these NiMH cells (that's a very good price, as they are high quality cells), some normal battery holders, and miniature volt meters. I'll simply use a plastic project box (I haven't bought those yet), and 12 cells per pack to create a 14.4V, 2000mAh battery. I don't know if this would be adequate for your camera since NiMH is not as good at high current loads as NiCd, but you could do the same with bigger cells, and use NiCd rather than NiMH.

Avoid lithium ion cells. They could work, but they require a lot of complex electronics to work really well and have a short life, even if you don't use them. Also, you aren't allowed to take them on aircraft unless they have passed expensive safety tests.

For charging, I have had good luck with chargers like this. They can handle NiMH, NiCd, lithium, and even lead-acid batteries, and have a lot of programmable features. What's more, they run from 12V, so you can charge in your car.

Of course, this is very much a homebuilt approach, and probably won't have the reliability of off the shelf batteries, but it's probably the cheapest way to go if you don't mind a bit of construction work.

P

Hi, please help me build battery for 16mm Kinor 16 CX 2M. Battery should be 12v 5-7A. At the moment I'm using a motorbike sealed battery, but it's heavy and it takes long to charge it.

I saw some people convert DeWalt 12v batteries ..... I need it to be with 4 pin XLR

connection and at the same time to have original connector to charge it using original charger.

If you don't have any familiarity with really basic electrical stuff then the cheapest option is probably the 12V gell cell (bike battery). You can put it in a bum bag (money belt). Maybe a smaller one if you don't really need 5-7Ah ? If you are just exploring on your own then naving two batteries is probably ok. Having only one can be a real pain.

Making up packs is quite easy if you have some basic experience with electrinocs, soldering etc. Normally the cells were soldered together. You can get cells with little metal tabs so the soldering is easier, safer. Find out what Ah people commonly have for an on board battery pack, then you can see what cells suit and how to wire them.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

I just read your other post and realize I probably misread you. Your peak current draw is 5-7A, yes?

What I was suggesting basically stays the same. What is a common battery capacity for those cameras? (Ah or mAh)

I did quite a lot of operating with a separate battery. I actualy liked it better. It made the camera lighter. But if you don't like that then the gell cells are maybe too heavy, so you have to make up some NiCads or NiMhi packs.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Hi Gregg, thanks for reply. Yes it needs to be 12V 7A. Good advice, but again, maybe you know something like DV Link System or any other light alternative that charges fast and is under £200?

Off the shelf:

http://www.milwaukee...er-port/2349-20

use 12v milwaukee batteries and any of this type of cable:

http://www.bhphotovi..._Cigarette.html

Done. I believe the "3A regulated" is on the usb port, the 12v port should be totally unregulated. If not, its pretty easy to just open it up and remove the regulator so it's accessing the battery directly - and using something like this means minimal gaff tape - nice and clean.

Edited by Jaron Berman

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Off the shelf:

http://www.milwaukee...er-port/2349-20

use 12v milwaukee batteries and any of this type of cable:

http://www.bhphotovi..._Cigarette.html

Done. I believe the "3A regulated" is on the usb port, the 12v port should be totally unregulated. If not, its pretty easy to just open it up and remove the regulator so it's accessing the battery directly - and using something like this means minimal gaff tape - nice and clean.

Jaron, good idea. Again, I don't get how to connect them.

For example, THIS is the battery I want to use. I'll need some sort of adapter like for DeWalt anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vadim Trofymenko

UPDATE. Bought a Milwaukee 12v 3A battery + Cordless Power Port + 4pin XLR + some cables = £80! + £20 for a electrician to solder four wires together here in London! Shame! £100 total cost.

The question is, could I have found a 12v 3A battery that charges in 30 minutes from arri or aston camera and recell it all together for $160?

Will post some pictures of my set-up on Monday.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

You could have bought a soldering iron for that!

It may seem strange, but I don't know how to solder.

• Premium Member

Jaron thanks for this...

328854.jpg

I was going to ask the engineers to make some of these up and here they are at B&H for $17. I have a couple of battery powered compressors with cigarette lighter outs that I thought would be perfect as backup batteries at least.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't have the coin for a BMCC (I'm a hobbyist), and anyway, I like film.

For my Bolex, which has the external motor, I used a pair of lead acid security cells, and a cord long enough to allow me to put the pack on the floor and move a bit. I got a little camera bag that they fit PERFECT into, along with the moto and a roll or two of film.

Heavy? Yes. But, the long cord makes it less of a headache, and it's PLENTY of capacity - it's not going to die suddenly on you.