Hawk-Woods MDV Link System question. 16mm camera battery.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Hello, I have a question about Hawk-Woods MDV Link system. I have a 16mm camera which requires a 12v 5-7A power source with 4-pin XLR out. At the moment I'm using a sealed acid motorbike battery, but it's heavy and it takes ages to charge it.

The question is: can I use a Hawk-Woods DV-F970 LLithium-Ion Battery ( which is 7.2V 47W 6600mA) and Hawk-Woods DV-XLRR MDV 12V Step-Up Power Adaptor to power the camera?

I'm not really good at electricity, please help me.

Thank you.

broadcastor-hawk-woods-dv-f970l-30.png

Hawk_Woods_DVXLRR_10630.jpeg

• Premium Member

Sorry, no - the adapter doesn't have the current capability to run the camera.

The way you said it, it sounds like the camera needs a 12V power supply from which it may draw five to seven amps, which is probably reasonable for a 16mm film camera. That's up to 12V x 7A = 84 watts. The DV-XLRR adaptor can only provide 12 watts, which basically means it's limited to one amp. Even if you could draw more than seven amps from one of those tiny DV batteries, it would only last a few minutes.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Thanks for the reply Phil. That's clear it.

Can you advice something similar to dv link system, or something around £200 that would be light and charge under 5 hours?

• Premium Member

Difficult. Batteries are expensive, as you have found!

For that money you could build some simple nickel cadmium or nickel metal hydride batteries as I suggested in the other forum thread which would charge in a few hours. If you don't want to do that, I think about the best solution is probably that DeWalt power tool battery adaptor you found. Perhaps you could find an old, broken power tool and use its battery mount. I'm sure that's all they're doing.

You could also look around and find some old NiCd PAG or Anton-Bauer batteries, and replace the cells.

• Premium Member

Amps are a measure of capability; most NiCd packs could deliver 5A for a short time at least. I would expect the DeWalt batteries to be fine for your 16mm camera, but you may wish to measure the actual current draw while the camera is operating. Most film cameras draw a lot of current while getting up to speed, but less when operating. Well-maintained and properly (not excessively) lubricated cameras will consume less power.

This is even cheaper, if you can find some suitable batteries. I'm tempted myself.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Well yeah I know, but... I don't know how to make a DeWalt to 4pin XLR adaptor.

post-1339-1262998555.jpg

Edited by Vadim Trofymenko

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Plus I'm worried about my electronics...

Last time I've measured camera running on a lead acid battery it was 12V 5A minimum. DeWalt batteries are 12V 3A maximum. Of course I can use a 18V DeWalt like some folks do with Arri, but the problem is that my camera doesn't have a protective system on it. :(

• Premium Member

That's just one of those flashlights with a 4 pin XLR connector in the top.

Buy the flashlight and the connector, figure out how to mount it somehow, and you'd probably only have to solder two wires.

I'm not sure how they're making that one work as it uses the 18V batteries, but you could simply use the 12V flashlight and the 12V batteries.

Which camera do you have?

Some cameras can safely be run from 13.2VDC or 14.4VDC which gives you a great advantage as a lot of cameras have an operational cut-off point of around 11VDC.

For our Aaton cameras, we have been successfully using 13.2VDC NP-1 type batteries with the appropriate adapter.

If it can take 14.4VDC safely, you can look into Lithium-Ion options which can be fast charged with the right charger.

For something inexpensive, I can recommend the products of http://www.all-battery.com/. I've had a few problems with certain specific products but overall they are pretty good to deal with.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Just spoke with a technician who knows Kinor cameras and found out that motor takes maximum voltage of 14.4V. I don't want to use 12V 3A because I'm afraid it won't be able to take 400' magazine, not for long at least.

I'll buy a DeWalt 14.4V 3A battery with charger and try to connect it to the camera.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Beware: If the maximum safe voltage is said to be 14.4VDC, it may not be safe to use a 14.4VDC battery because a fully charged 14.4VDC battery can output up to 17VDC.

Probably safer to stick to a 12V with higher capacity.

Jean-Louis

Hmmm, I don't know what to do now. I have to shoot a short film in two weeks and have no battery. :(

Do you think 12V 3A will work with fully loaded 400' magazine?