R16 to S16 print?

Jeremy Rumas

hello all,

Was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this. I shot a movie on negative stock that is a combination of Regular 16mm and Super 16mm. I would like to get a Super 16mm print of the entire movie, that I can project with a projector converted to S16mm. The Regular 16mm footage would need to be optically blown up/cropped on top and bottom to fill the Super 16mm frame. Are there any labs out there that will do this? The one in my area that I talked to said they couldn't do it.

thanks,

-Jeremy

I'm aware S16mm prints can't have sound. Non-sync sound can provided by a live band, a live narrator, samples mixed in live, etc. 16mm/S16mm prints are relatively cheap, they look beautiful projected, projectors are cheap and plentiful, and easy to transport. This is my project this would be for: http://www.hangsuponnothing.com/

Edited by Jeremy Rumas

• Premium Member

Very well then. To answer your question, I dont know of any labs that do S16 blowups because they arent in demand like sound prints for festivals, etc. You can no doubt engineer your own print by creating an optical printer. There is much info on this on this forum if you search. Maybe there is some remote lab that does this for you? Never heard of it personally.

We can do this. but you would still have splices in your mixed print that might be distracting. Also the price of optical prints is much higher than contact prints. If money would be no object, we could blow up both formats to 35mm IP from an AB cut negative, then do an optical reduction to 16mm DN from which normal S16 contact prints can be made.

• Premium Member

Have you considered a digital film out? Might be sacrilege to say but you could actually take your HD scans, crop and digitally output to a 16mm negative. Only question I would have is if a Super 16 output could be made. You could actually do an anamorphic print with an optical soundtrack this way.

Talk to Tom at www.videofilmsolutions.com. They are based in Maryland in the USA and have the capability to do 35mm and 16mm film outs with optical sound tracks. That way you'd be compatible with every 16mm school projector you could find.

Here's his info:

Tommy Aschenbach

Video & Film Solutions

www.videofilmsolutions.com

301-770-9155

• Premium Member

Will, I had given a bit of thought to this possibility, though I didn't think about doing an anamorphic squeeze on the print. This could be an option. Thanks for the suggestions and the contact info!

You'd have to secure a 16mm projector and an anamorphic lens (they are a little more common than you might think) but you'd have to nail down what type of anamorphic squeeze you'd be doing. 16:9 or Cinemascope?

These guys are selling new old-stock 16mm projectors and have multiple types of anamorphic lenses available. They bought up a ton from the government years ago and have them stuffed in a warehouse. I bought a Telex projector from them and it is great. Came with extra bulb and a zoom lens. They sell them on eBay too.

Magna-Tech Electronic Company Inc. in Miami, Florida: 305-573-7339

I hope you do it because it would look amazing. I might even buy a print if you make them available.