Where to find double 8mm film?

Lena Woods

I just bought a Bell & Howell Electric Eye 8mm camera, and I'm pretty sure I need double 8mm film, but correct me if I'm wrong... Does anyone know where to get this kind of film? Thanks.

Standard 8 film is actually double perf 16mm stock. If you can still find that good luck! (16mm stock became single-perf a while back to allow the Super 16 (16x9) frame to use the part of the film previously taken up by the other sprockets.

You would load a 50ft daylight reel of this double perf 16mm stock (aka standard 8) and shoot the 50ft. Only one side of the 16mm wide stock would be exposed, from one edge, to the centre of the reel. Then you'd remove the daylight reel, flip it over and shoot the same reel so that you end up with two 50ft strips of Standard 8 pics on either side of the reel. When it's processed they'd cut it down the centre, flip one side over and splice together to make a 100ft Standard 8 reel :-)

Edited by Stuart Page

Standard 8 film is actually double perf 16mm stock. If you can still find that good luck! (16mm stock became single-perf a while back to allow the Super 16 (16x9) frame to use the part of the film previously taken up by the other sprockets.

You would load a 50ft daylight reel of this double perf 16mm stock (aka standard 8) and shoot the 50ft. Only one side of the 16mm wide stock would be exposed, from one edge, to the centre of the reel. Then you'd remove the daylight reel, flip it over and shoot the same reel so that you end up with two 50ft strips of Standard 8 pics on either side of the reel. When it's processed they'd cut it down the centre, flip one side over and splice together to make a 100ft Standard 8 reel :-)

It isn't the same as double perf 16mm at all. There are extra perfs inbetween the 16mm perfs because the pulldown isn't as long.

John Schwind still does mail order I think?...:

http://www.zerelda.com/internationalfilm/internationalfilm.html

love

Freya