Canon Auto 318M Super 8mm Cine Camera

Bradley Stearn

I received a Canon Super 8mm camera for Christmas I have never shot on film before, so I cannot wait to start filming with Super 8mm. I also got Kodak Ekta 100D, I am aware it is not being produced any-more so I am fairly lucky to get my hands on a reel.

Any tips to be given on shooting with super 8mm? I have always been a digital filmmaker

I wrote a short overview of the camera and my first thoughts on my blog, which can be seen here.

Download the manual. Bypass the internal filter, which is now ~35 years old and made of gelatine, and get yourself a thread-in daylight filter; preferably optical glass. See if you can dig up a S8 projector too.

If you plan on editing on a computer, shoot negative. Kodak is replacing Ektachrome 100D with Vision3 50D. Telecine (to miniDV or hard drive) costs the same for negative as it does for reversal. I'd stick to 50D and 200T. If you want a high saturation reversal film, Spectra still has Velvia in S8 cartridges.

Reversal films have very little latitude, so you've got to get them right the first time.

And have fun! Super 8 is way more fun to shoot than digital! You'll enjoy looking at the results more too. Film always seems to have more character than digital. The real trade off is usually money.