The anatomy of a Cinematographer

PANASONICDVX100

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh balls, it's nothing to do with being an artist or whatever, it's about the fact that everyone's got to eat."

I have this funny feeling inside that me and you should switch jobs, Phil...

I work 8 hour days in a factory that makes grinding wheels. I work so I can er, how do you geezers put it -- "put food on the table".

You on the other hand are immersed in a fantasy world where your 'work' (ART) is worth its weight in gold.

Trade?

Jonathan,

A clear indication of your maturity level:(

CHRIS

==============

Yep.

:D

(What's so great about being old and serious anyway... most self-admitted adults I know live in a perpetual mindf-ck, drifting between reminiscing about their youth and working their asses off in a desperate attempt to fane off old age.)

What was it Bush said about putting food on the family for your table... or something? :lol:

Phil I tried to find an animated gif of a hamster on speed just for you, but had no luck. Then I tried to find a hamster to run really fast in one of those little exercise balls so I could make a video of it to send to you, with the caption "Annie's Metabolism", but no luck there either. Those pet store owners have no sense of humor!

I am still following this thread though and am a little confused to see all these posts being quoted that as far as I can tell, aren't actually in the thread anymore. Oh well.

"I'd take any job that would take me to the states, even if it wouldn't pay. Where do I sign? And 8 hours, c'mon, that would be refreshing"

I wouldn't necessarily say "refreshing".

Rewarding, maybe.

(you learn to appreciate things you take for granted)

IMO everyone needs to do a little manual labor once in a while -- it keeps you modest and decent.

And you sure as hell get plenty of time to daydream which is always a great thing...

As far as coming to the states, I honestly believe that if it's your goal to work at/for/with hollywood and you have something to offer the american public and the rest of the world for that matter, your feet will eventually touch american soil.

or what's left of it..

"You on the other hand are immersed in a fantasy world where your 'work' (ART)  is worth its weight in gold.

I don't get this...but from what I can decipher...

Nope filmmaking doesn't pay in gold--more like in false promises:

"When I make it you'll get what's coming..."

"Next one will be paid."

"We're gonna get rich off this one!"

But it is a fantasy to think you'll get pay your weight in gold.

Hopefully most of us will get decent paying film jobs...but that's just hopes

IMO everyone needs to do a little manual labor once in a while -- it keeps you modest and decent.

If you don't think filmmakers do manual labor you should grip a bit:

Try carrying a couple of C-stands a few flights and loading & unloading a grip truck

Then do it for 12 hours for a $100 bucks!

I sure you make more working in the factory...& they give you overtime...

Nope filmmaking ain't as easy or as glamorous as it seems

So when you do make it you remember those days

Sitting in the van eating three-day-old cold-cuts

And complaining about the below freezing cold...

And never seeing your girlfriend or boyfriend except on holidays...

And only making a few hundred a week to pay your rent.

You gotta love it or you won't cut it.

"until I spoke of behaviour and expectations on set (this is a Christian film)"

Ok I think this is your main problem right here. Every one knows that DOPs are notorious atheists, womanizers, alchoholics, and a very foul mouthed lot. :D

Richard

• Premium Member
"until I spoke of behaviour and expectations on set (this is a Christian film)"

Ok I think this is your main problem right here.  Every one knows that DOPs are notorious atheists, womanizers, alchoholics, and a very foul mouthed lot.  :D

Richard

Unfortunately, except for the "atheist" part, a few too many "Christians" fit that description too. :(

Also unfortunately, this week the world lost a fine example of what being "Christian" really means. :(

There will be another Pope John.

The best thing I liked about JPII was when he visited his would be assassin in jail to forgive him. Now that was class. How many wars would start if every one did that?

But I digress, this is a DP forum, DP forum, DP forum....must not mention religion or politics.

Richard

• Premium Member

TSM had me laughing my a** off. I almost think the original poster is putting everybody on. But in the case that he's for real:

My biggest pet peave of all time (in this business) is when low ball producers and directors genuinely act like it's some type of a "right" for someone to make a movie. It's a privilage. Pure and simple. Christian boy should certainly understand that. The current man in the White House agrees with me on how the U.S economy works. A so-called free market. And I assume that they both agree on a whole host of other issues. Abortion, gay marriage, stem cell research to name a few.

Which brings me to my second and main point which is that I have had a lot of close contact with people who describe themselves as "Christian" and the fact is that they are almost all fundalmentalists. And although these forums rightfully shy from extra-film debate I feel morally compelled to say that I believe that fundamentalist jews, christians and muslums have been at the root of some of the most horrible problems in the past as well as current Western history. I would ask moderate religious folks and secular ones as well to not aid in anyway the efforst of religious zealots from any sect. These people must be stopped.

Thank you,

Frank "notice I use my real name" Barrera

Does this mean you won't be joining the on set prayer circle Frank?

BTW, how do you know he's a zealot? Maybe he's just making a family film?

Richard

That's odd Phil, I always took you for a church goer :D

Some thing about your infectious positive out look on life.

Richard

Back to the subject, would an experienced cinematographer work for (with) a first-time director on a serious and ?unusual? project and, let?s say, $3,000 in cash for a ?two-day? job ( two days of shooting, actually ) ?

Like, a 10 minute film-noir look short-movie ?

Is this reasonable ? I know each case is a case, but ?. let me rephrase, does that happen ? ( or it?d be more probable that the cinematographer would turn the project down because of the fact it?s the first experience of the director on a set )

I appreciate any comment,

Rodrigo

Back to the subject, would an experienced cinematographer work for (with) a first-time director on a serious and ?unusual? project and, let?s say, $3,000 in cash for a ?two-day? job ( two days of shooting, actually ) ?

Like, a 10 minute film-noir look short-movie ?

Is this reasonable ? I know each case is a case, but ?. let me rephrase, does that happen ? ( or it?d be more probable that the cinematographer would turn the project down because of the fact it?s the first experience of the director on a set )

I appreciate any comment,

Rodrigo

Rodrigo,

What exactly are you asking? A quote? That seems a lot for two days... Are you putting together a production yourself?

Chris

That's odd Phil, I always took you for a church goer  :D

Some thing about your infectious positive out look on life.

Richard

Richard,

A church goer does not mean a particular person is Christian. The questions is do they have a relationship with JC? That is all that really matters...

Chris

Does this mean you won't be joining the on set prayer circle Frank?

BTW, how do you know he's a zealot?  Maybe he's just making a family film?

Richard

Richard,

This project is a Christian film that God has sent me to produce. People need a whole lot more than what Hollywood is dishing out... it ia auch an underserviced area.

Chris

TSM had me laughing my a** off.  I almost think the original poster is putting everybody on. But in the case that he's for real:

My biggest pet peave of all time (in this business) is when low ball producers and directors genuinely act like it's some type of a "right" for someone to make a movie. It's a privilage. Pure and simple. Christian boy should certainly understand that. The current man in the White House agrees with me on how the U.S economy works. A so-called free market. And I assume that they both agree on a whole host of other issues. Abortion, gay marriage, stem cell research to name a few.

Which brings me to my second and main point which is that I have had a lot of close contact with people who describe themselves as "Christian" and the fact is that they are almost all fundalmentalists. And although these forums rightfully shy from extra-film debate I feel morally compelled to say that I believe that fundamentalist jews, christians and muslums have been at the root of some of the most horrible problems in the past as well as current Western history. I would ask moderate religious folks and secular ones as well to not aid in anyway the efforst of religious zealots from any sect. These people must be stopped.

Thank you,

Frank "notice I use my real name" Barrera

Frank,

Why stopped? Why such the hatred? Are you off the world?

Chris

Phil,

I agree but Christianity is NOT a religion but a relationship.

Chris

Yeap definitely a zealot....

Richard,

This project is a Christian film that God has sent me to produce. People need a whole lot more than what Hollywood is dishing out... it ia auch an underserviced area.

Chris

Definitely, definitely, definitely a zealot! :)

I really hate contributing to this non cinematography discussion.

But people are free to believe in what they want to believe

And are allowed to do as they please...Christian film or other...

And if folks want to believe christianity ain't a religion--MORE POWER...

I wanna believe in a cinematography forum that is free

Free of political opinions, free of religious ideals, free for minorities and whites

Free for women and men, free for low budgets and big budgets--& free of ads :)

Will this ever happen my brothers?

But I digress

Oh little men (and women too) you with your ideas and beliefs

Who made you and why are you as you are so very strange and unhappy...?

Okay lemme stop the existentialist crap

It didn't help me get laid in friendster it sure as hell won't help here. :)

Now let's go back to the important CINEMATOGRAPHY questions

If an unproperly rigged 12K falls on Arri 535 and no-one's around to see it...

Which PA will get blamed?

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time--but I was bored. B)

Edited by Rik Andino