Mixing anamorphic and spherical lenses

Hi everyone.

I'm currently planning for a short film this summer and was wondering if anyone had mixed spherical and anamorphic lenses before on a project. If it's possible I would like to use it as a motif in the film. We will likely shoot on the Epic and crop the spherically lensed shots to 2.35.1 if we go through with the lens motif. I understand that each type of lens will obviously alter the rendition of space and depth.. I should note that I'm not totally opposed to changing the aspect ratio throughout the film. I though The Life of Pi was a beautiful exercise in aspect ratio. Please reply with any thoughts or concerns

Brett Graybill

Hi Brett!

As a cinematographer, in order to make sure that you do make the best of your art piece without "compromising" the image, it is necessary that you run some tests before entering production. See if you can take the Epic and run a test. I'd test a couple of shots outside in the daytime, one with the anamorphic lenses, and one with the spherical lenses. Then test a couple of shots inside in the same fashion. Hand it over to your editor and project the images on the largest screen possible. If you love that particular "look" for your story, then go with it.