Film School or On-Job Training

Happy holidays to all! I'm a TVC Producer from Singapore and about to embark on a new challenge. I would like to pursue my passion of cinematography. I do not have any fundamentals on it and was wondering if I should join film school. I was looking at the 1 year Conservatory in Cinematography offered by NYFA. Link below;

http://www.nyfa.edu/cinematography-school/1year.php

What do you guys think? Is it a good idea to join a short course like this to learn the fundamentals or try and intern/understudy a DOP here? I spoke to a DOP here and he suggests I study and try and get into the camera department at the same time. Would NY offer work during my free time at school?

Need your thoughts, guys. Thanks.

If you have no camera experience, then probably try both because it'll be a little tricky to convince a camera crew to pick you up for work completely fresh, even with education it's still very difficult.

I wouldn't recommend a long course or university either because it's not really worth it, I recommend something that'll get you doing a few projects, meet a few people and learn a few things which shouldn't cost an awful lot either if you look around for the right course.

Anyway best of luck with it.