Selecting the eye for the 2D master

Analeah Ricchetti

Hello!

I am a VFX artist who specializes in stereo conversion and I have a question that I need some of you experts to answer. I noticed that a lot of films that are shot in 3D used the right eye image for the 2D version of the film. Is this the industry standard? If so, why?

I have done some research in hopes of finding the answer on my own but I have been unable to find any really good information regarding this. It seems that with almost all beamsplitter / mirror camera rigs that the left image is the one being refected by the mirror, so it makes sense that you would want to use the right eye as the 2D master in oder to get the most pristine image possible. What I don't really understand is why is the left camera the one that is being reflected? Why not build the rig so that the right eye is being relefected?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks! Do you know why the left eye was selected as the master? Was it just because of the rig configuration?

This is interesteing. I know that the right eye was used as the 2D master for Prometheus and I think it's safe to venture that the same is true for The Hobbit since the rig configuration they used had the left camera over and the right camera through the mirror.