Lens recommendation for Beaulieu 6008s

Yaron Y. Dahan

Hey folks,

I got myself a Bealieu 6008s, but the lens it came with has unfortunately fungus inside (obviously the dude who sold this on ebay knew this, but argh....). Anyhow no big deal, yeah?

I did however want to ask for a recommendation for a zoom lens for this camera... i would prefer a relatively fast lens that has a relatively close focus... as far as the zoom goes, doesn't need to be huge, and the wide end is more important that the tele end...

I would love to hear a few tips, and if you have any idea about how much i should be paying for the lens, please let me know that too.

Thanks!!!

• Premium Member

Hiya, best zoom lenses for the 6008/7008 cameras were the schneider 6-66 and angenieux 6-80. The 6-66 can only be used as c-mount without the LCU where as the 6-80 can be modified for use the the LCU. Please be aware that any zoom lens you purchase for the camera will need to be collimated/adjusted to the camera to avoid soft images especially when the lens is used on wide angle at f1.8 (6-66) and T1.4 (6-80). Schneider 6-66 is reported as the sharpest zoom lens made for the super 8 format.

• Premium Member

The Angenieux f1.2 (T1.4) 6-80 was kinda the Holy Grail of Super 8 lenses. Very few around today. Crazy fast and sharp. It came with the limited run Beaulieu 4008 ZM II "Jubilee Edition" that was all in black.

Andy is right, make sure you send your specific camera and whatever lens you buy to a tech that can collimate it to work together.

Another option is to pick up a simple prime c-mount lens like a 10mm or 15mm to have when you want to lighten your load. Those small lenses give great results and make the camera much easier to use if you can do without a zoom and use your feet.

Will, I started looking into fixed focal length as your ecommended, and was thinking that even if I do find a good zoom I should have maybe a pair to begin with of wide and normal as you recommended. I lookes at this list here:http://us.c-mount.passion.pro/

And I was wondering if you had any speicfic recommendations for one of the wide lenses:

Angenieux 15mm f1.3

Bell et Howell 10mm ANGENIEUX BOLEX

Bolex Switar 10mm f1.6 AR

Canon TV Bolex PHF 12mm f1.2

Century 9mm f1.8

Cine Paragon 1,5 8mm

Computar f1.3 12mm

Computar f1.3 12.5

Computar f1.3 16mm

Cosina TV LENS 12.5mm f1.4

Cosmicar 12.5MM f1.4

Dallmeyer f1.3 12mm

Elgeet 12mm f1.2 Cine Navitar Wide angle lens

Elgeet 13mm f1.5 Prime Wide Angle

Elitar 13MM f1.5

Kenr Paillard switar 16mm f1.8

Kern Paillard Switar 10mm f1.8 R21

Kinotar Professional 12.5mm 1.4

Kodac cine ektar 15mm f2.5

Schneider Cinegon f1.8 10mm

Som Berthiot Cinor f1.5 15mm

Som Berthiot f1.9 10mm BOLEX

Switar 10mm 1.6 Lens Bolex Beaulieu

Switar Bolex H16 RX Lens 10mm f1.6

Tokina 8mm f1.3

Wolensak 1inch f1.9 25mm Cine-Velostigmat Lens

Zeiss Biotar 1,4 16mm

Also two other things that weren't clear for me and maybe you can shed some light:

1. If the lens is listed as bolex does this mean that there is anythign special about the mount or lens? or just that they were produces for the bolex?

2. Is there any difference between the cine-lenses and the TV lenses?

thanks a lot!

• Premium Member

I actually have a Pentax 6mm & a 12mm I think c mount TV lens for the Beauileu. The glass on those didn't have to be built to the same quality standards as film lenses supposedly, but on Super 8 I think they look fine and can be had new for very little money at B&H.

Honestly I don't have a specific recommendation on those you listed but I would suggest finding a 6 to 10mm lens to start. Focus would be less of an issue with those.

All the C-Mount lenses that were made for the Kodak K-100 16mm would be great lenses for your camera too.

Start cheap and see if that works for you. You can always spend more money.

• Premium Member

By the way, if there is some fungus on the lens it came with it isn't necessarily the end of the world. Shoot a roll and see what you get. Shoot some charts to check focus and then some people outside on a bright day. If it looks good to you then roll with what you have. The 6008 is a great camera, almost overkill for Super 8.

Hi Yaron,

The Beaulieu 6008 was originally delivered with:

1. Schneider 1,4/6-70 as a standard which is definitely a very good lens.

2. Beaulieu Makro-Zoom 1,4/6.9-55, a budget version which originates from Japan

3. Angénieux 1,4/6-90 lens, highend version which you will not find very often

I recommend to use one of the the lenses and previewed of the 6008S.

The Schneider lens 1,8/6-66 is a very fine lens but was never delivered with the 6008S. It has a better macro function but the 1.4/6-70 version is a bit faster and has a somewhat better resolution in case of open apertures.

In order to save money I would first check the lens and then adapt it to the cam if you feel it could improve results.

Do not only look for the lens but also for a faulty 6008S but with a prestine lens.

My own experiences show, that the Angénieux lenses have more often fungus inside than the Schneider lenses - honestly I would opt for the 1.4/6-70

By the way, lenses can be cleaned from fungus if there is not to much fungus inside and the lens worth being cleaned. I have possibilities here. So you should also check if you have this opportunity in your region.

Best regards,

Reinhard

• Premium Member

Yes fungus can be cleaned up sometimes, if it's not too severe. Fresh fungus cleans off without leaving a mark, but as time goes on it spreads and etches into the surface. A good long dose of sunlight can arrest the fungus growth. For a lens tech it's usually not too hard to access certain areas inside a S8 zoom for cleaning, under the front element or the first element of the zoom group for example.

I have the Angenieux T1.4 6-90 and it's certainly one of the best zooms for small formats that I've ever come across, but it does seem to be quite a rare beast.

Hi Yaron,

The Beaulieu 6008 was originally delivered with:

1. Schneider 1,4/6-70 as a standard which is definitely a very good lens.

2. Beaulieu Makro-Zoom 1,4/6.9-55, a budget version which originates from Japan

3. Angénieux 1,4/6-90 lens, highend version which you will not find very often

I recommend to use one of the the lenses and previewed of the 6008S.

The Schneider lens 1,8/6-66 is a very fine lens but was never delivered with the 6008S. It has a better macro function but the 1.4/6-70 version is a bit faster and has a somewhat better resolution in case of open apertures.

In order to save money I would first check the lens and then adapt it to the cam if you feel it could improve results.

Do not only look for the lens but also for a faulty 6008S but with a prestine lens.

My own experiences show, that the Angénieux lenses have more often fungus inside than the Schneider lenses - honestly I would opt for the 1.4/6-70

By the way, lenses can be cleaned from fungus if there is not to much fungus inside and the lens worth being cleaned. I have possibilities here. So you should also check if you have this opportunity in your region.

Best regards,

Reinhard

Hey Reinhard,

I'm in Germany, so I'd love to hear where I might get the fungus cleaned. If you have any addresses that would be most excellent. If it's too expensive, I'd just buy another camera (bought the last one for 160 euros!)

Dear Yaran,

You will get a PM from me.

One note: Most of the people think that they can get an old high-end camera for nearly zero. But ... all these cams have never seen a maintenance, They are disadjusted, the light meter does not work correct and the speed is not good adjusted anymore. If you give the cam a service you will directly feel ,hear and see the difference. It does not cost the world, but you should invest the money in a service instead of buying the next faulty cam.

Best reagards

Reinhard

An overhaul of a Beaulieu 4008 or 6008 will cost at least Euro 400.

And then the needed parts who all of sudden aren't good anymore.

If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Better ask before you sent your camera anywhere :)

And if you get a proper bill and garantee.

Just find a fitting lens for your 6008. Shouldn't be too difficult when in Germany.

Or a second camera. Then you are covered when one would break down or something.

Or load it with a different film.

Despite claims otherwise you can swap the lens across cameras.

Just double check on focusing at infinity. If it doesn't focus then likely it will on neither of the cameras.

With all these ISO 100 films aperture will be around f11 most of the time and DOF

on the subject and on the film is enormous.

Thanks Andries and Reinhardt,

Actually I ran a few films throuhg the camera anyhow, and all seems to work. So lucy there, even if not on the lens. Better not to fix what aint broken, yeah? In the meanwhile I will keep my eye out for a pristine lens from some sort of reliable dealer... better than spending all that money I think.

• 6 months later...

Hiya, best zoom lenses for the 6008/7008 cameras were the schneider 6-66 and angenieux 6-80. The 6-66 can only be used as c-mount without the LCU where as the 6-80 can be modified for use the the LCU. Please be aware that any zoom lens you purchase for the camera will need to be collimated/adjusted to the camera to avoid soft images especially when the lens is used on wide angle at f1.8 (6-66) and T1.4 (6-80). Schneider 6-66 is reported as the sharpest zoom lens made for the super 8 format.

I just got a 6-66 Schneider and want to fix it on my Beaulieu 6008s. What is an "LCU"?

Thanks.