is there a tool for making custom LUTs based on still photos?

Steve Wallace

I have a number of photos in which I used various chemical processes that I would like to build LUTs around. Is there a tool that would scan an image for its inherent characteristics, and replicate that as a LUT, assuming its a neutral properly white balanced image? Or am I still using the scopes and replicating it as best as I can using scopes etc...?

Any help?

For example, here is a photo from my Lomo LC-A+ shot on Fuji Superia 400 asa cross processed as e6, pushed +2 stops and brought to a neutral (ish) balance in scanning.

post-3505-0-04481700-1357259261_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve Wallace

Look LUT-building tools work by making a before / after comparison of a target image. There's no way to do it with a single image. You'd have to backwards engineer your look to create a LUT. If you can create a look that matches your desired aesthetic (using curve adjustments, etc) you can use Resolve (generate LUT from current grade) or PS6 (create Layer LUT) to create LUTs. There's a lite version of Resolve which is free and PS6 has a 30 day trial, so you could bang out all the LUTs you need without incurring any additional expense.

Using a average photo will not work you will need to make sure the scanners is first calibrated ie. IT8 chart. Then shoot the appropriate test charts depending on the software. Even in Nuke you could use a colormatch tool to match one photo look to another. Just some ideas.

@ Paul, ahh thats right... like by scanning a densitometer strip cards... that makes sense. Looks like I'm stuck

thanks for the input though,

Are there any other colormatch tools? I don't use nuke. I'm a new convert from FCP7 --> PrPro CS6 for R3D

Steve I would say you can download Nuke for 30 day trial (or 15 cant remember) and then just look up a tutorial on how to use it even with out test shots as long as the scenes are similar you can make them look similar, I will keep an eye out for what software pro's use for this.