Filmo 70DL repair question

Richard Tuohy

Hi all,

I have just ebay purchased an old Bell and Howell Filmo 70DL for a young film artist in Malaysia. The motor, however, appears to be seized. I have tried putting a little oil in the oil holes. I'd like to open it up and have a look (being very careful regarding the spring). Currently the spring is fully wound up. It won't unwind at all. This will make disassembly problematic I believe. Anyone have any thoughts or instructions as to which screws I could safely unscrew in order to open the camera up?

many thanks,

richard

• Premium Member

Hi Richard,

First impulse would be to ask for a refund from the seller..

But if you want to persist, I've had a couple of Filmos stop running like that, and both times the jam was freed by opening up the front. One had a bent shutter, the other a jammed release. Watch your fingers near the shutter though, in case it suddenly starts spinning. Good idea to set the speed to minimum.

I wouldn't advise undoing anything other than the front, especially with a fully wound spring. I've got the 70 series repair manual - even when you can fully run down the spring (which is past where it normally stops), you still need a clamping jig to hold it if you want to go much further than removing the front. The spring is not cased, and holds a tremendous amount of energy.

I can check the repair manual on monday if you want more detailed instructions about removing the front. It's been a few years since I did it.

Hi Dom,

you are a legend!

I posted here because I didn't want to ring you and pester you for help again. Thanks for answering.

It came with three c-mount lenses that I figure I could probably sell for the price i paid for the camera (I paid $220), so I think I might like to try taking the front off rather than asking for a refund. I have taken the rotating part of the turret off, but there are more screws underneath. If you do get a chance to check the manual, that would be great!

speak soon,

rt.

• Premium Member

You can pester me anytime Richard, especially about old cameras. Besides, I'm about to pester you regarding 8 rolls of double-8 that need processing. :D

Here's the Filmo instructions for removing the front plate. As I mentioned before, since the spring is not run down, be careful of the shutter starting to spin as you take off the plate. Set the speed to 8 fps first. You should only need to follow instructions 5 a to d.

filmo70frontplatedisass.jpg

filmo70frontplatediagra.jpg

• Site Sponsor

This has been my experience with the Filmo too, if you take the front mechanism with the shutter off you can usually get the spring to go, and add a bit of lube to the system and it will run well, you could even do a Ultra-16mm mod while you have it apart.

-Rob-

Having the exploded view and instructions was a big help - thanks again Dom. The oil on the shutter shaft had dried up on my DL. Once I got the shaft cleaned and some fresh oil on the shaft it ran fine. I couldn't resist putting a little grease on the cam that operated the pull-down claw - a little grease on the plate that moved the claw towards the film as well. There are 5 parts with springs so you do have to pay attention to this or they will take off across the room.post-56409-0-81531400-1357745387_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

There are 5 parts with springs so you do have to pay attention to this or they will take off across the room.

Yes indeed! You'd think after 15 years of camera repairs I'd have learned that lesson, but people often walk in to my workshop to find me scrabbling around on the floor, cursing and muttering as I search for a little spring that pinged off on me. Not a very professional introduction. :P

Glad you got your Filmo running again, seems like the front plate mechanism/shutter is a very common culprit.

• 2 years later...

I bought a filmo 70DR, it looks like just been lubricated and I can smell the oil when go close.

But there are several times that when I wound it until couldn't go more, it won't run. I hit the top of the camera, then it runs.

I am not sure if it needs some oil on the shutter as well...

• 8 years later...

Dom - can you reshare those images - I am reassembling my front end and the actual exploded view would be comforting.

Edited by Joe Gill

• Premium Member

Sorry Joe, I don't have access to that manual anymore.

I was using a free image host site back then which subsequently demanded a subscription and all my images disappeared. Learned my lesson, now I upload low-res images directly, but unfortunately it's too late for some things.