Well; Looks like I'll be there soon

• Premium Member

Well everyone, I'm wheels up on the 31st 'round noon Phila time. I of course won't be anywhere near a computer after tomorrow, so, if you don't hear from in in about a week or so, then there's some random PAR cans and and SR3 somewhere in middle America up for grabs. I look forward to seeing all of you when I get there. For those concerned, I'll be sure to post a "I am alive" upon arriving and surviving the first bout of LA traffic... with a trailer.

• Premium Member

As for work, Matt, dunno; but open to anything. I know I have to shoot back to Phila sometime soon and I have a few meetings lined up; we'll see how they pan out. I don't need to work for a few months as I can make it by on savings ect; but you know, i'd rather be doing something as all the nice weather is killing me.

As for interesting, well, where to start? I don't think there are any living animals here. Oh sure, it's green, and there are bugs, but not a Squirrel, and I haven't seen nor heard a bird in a long time. They charge you for bags @ the store, thus forcing you to carry the re-usable bag, but no one seems to recycle? It all just goes into a big blue dumpster which is behind every apartment around here.

It's illegal, it seems to smoke, everywhere, but yet they sell smokes super cheap here (compared to say $7.50 in Phila and over $11 in NYC) but we all have to hide in alleys to smoke.

Also apparently it's "winter weather," when there is going to be some rain/fog and snow above 2800ft..... and also everyone worries... it's also "cold" in the 40s.

They have organic flowers. I'm not sure what that means....

And next to the trader joes which I don't mind being on my corner for picking up small things.... there is a super awesome greasy burger joint.

Gas cost me $93 to put in my truck, yet i HAVE to drive everywhere.

You know... things like that.

I dunno I'll get used to it I suppose.

I did love that the internet installing cable company came out like... 2 hours after I called. That was awesome.

• Premium Member

I discover I'll be in the area, or at least Burbank, which is a bit more "the area" than here, from April 11 for a week or two. Not that I want to be the convenor of social occasions or anything, but perhaps some sort of meetup would be amusing.

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Adrian..try to live in either Silver lake or Echo Park. They're centrally located neighborhoods, hip(ster)ish with reasonable rents and aforementioned attractions. You're probably going to be working a lot but I imagine you'll have some downtime and when you step out onto the street to go get a bite somewhere wouldn't you rather see a bunch of hotties with a crazy tats walking by or 'bangers trading shots with Kel-tecs?

• Premium Member

Hmm. I dunno; Bagers would remind me of home ;)

But I settled into Pasadena. It's ok, I suppose. Quiet in the evening and I can currently walk to most things I need which is a big deal for me.

In future I dunno where I'll wind up. So far I've only really seen Pasadena, WeHo, and NoHo. We shall see.

I walked a lot in 1974 and even then got the same reaction about walking ! Pasadena is nice place to explore on foot.

Walked from Uxbridge to Pinewood recently. Everyone in Uxbridge was telling me it was impossible to walk there and then would send me on wild goose chases to short cuts and try and take away my map and all sorts. Very strange. Kinda help I didn't need. After a while, when someone asked me if I was lost and needed help, I was just like "nah I'm fine". It was a bit of a trek but I wouldn't have been quite so worn out if I hadn't been sent all the way around the Wrekin first, and told over and over that it was impossible.

Bizzarely I stumbled across a building with a huge Arri sign and they were really helpful. They were more like "Ooooh I wouldn't want to be doing that walk" but they didn't suggest I couldn't, or that it was impossible. They also actually showed me where I was on my map and helped me find the route I wanted to take! Top marks for Arri. Saw the sign and just thought "They'll help me" and it was true! :)

Freya

• Premium Member

The Germans never fail Freya ;)

I'm looking forward to some walking 'round Pasadena John. At present, though I'm still stuck in the hell of back and forth to various government agencies getting new IDs and registrations and smogs and the like. And, of course, my idiotic honesty has thus cost me extra tax on my truck-- and let's not even get into the cost of gas here... I know it's cheaper than almost every other country; but c'mon, I'm used to $60 getting me 2x full tanks. Spoiled I suppose.

• Premium Member

We do. I could drive through Cali as much as I want, or any state, however, since I relocated, I have to get a new title and update the plates to Cali as well as get a new license to establish residency. None of this was/is all too difficult, especially as I have AAA, but for the license I did have to take the cali written driving test... which was... interesting. And ironically, if I ever move to another state-- which is the end goal after being established enough-- I'll get to do it all again via that state's laws.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Damn Phil, bad timing. I'll be heading out to Philadelphia Thursday for a shoot and will need to pack up kits ect before my flight.

Try to enjoy it here in my stead and I suppose I'll just have to fly to London to make up for it.