Daniel Katz

Gangster Squad terrible motion rendering?

Just curious if anyone has seen Gangster Squad; despite being rather rubbish, the motion rendering made the film almost unwatchable for me. I saw this in the trailer but assumed they had done a lot of speed blending for the trailer and it wouldn't actually look like that in the theater. I was hoping that the Alexa Studio would become the gold standard for digital capture, as it relates to filmic capture of movement (given the mechanical shutter).

Dion Beebe is a superb cinematographer and I'm somewhat surprised that after testing etc that he thought the motion rendering in the final film is up to scratch.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I just checked out IMDb tech specs, and it says it was filmed on alxa studio. It is probably inherent cmos sensor issue. I haven't seen the movie but I suspect that...

Even the normal Alexa with rolling shutter barely suffers from any motion artifacts (just try to film a rotating disc with stripes) while the Studio uses a mechanical shutter and doesn't suffer motion artifacts at all. Dion Beebe worked with Michael Mann who loves "videoish" looks and doesn't hesitate to use large shutter angles (like 270-360°) which generates very unnatural motion-rendering. Maybe this was the case here as well?