Single perf 16mm film. Perf holes on the other side! Help

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Hi, I'm trying to get used to load 400' film in darkness (on the light for now of course). But, when I got film from the can it looks like perf holes are on the other side of my magazine perf teeth and camera registration pin! What's wrong?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

If you have single perf film, you need to load it with the perf lined up with your camera's perf teeth. On my CP16, it is with the perf facing toward the bottom so I have to load it by feeling for the perf on the bottom and feeding it through the felt roller and out of the mag. Thankfully, I can load the rest of it in daylight. If your camera has two layers of perf teeth together, you might require to have two perf film.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

But the per holes are completely on other side of film stock!, as you can see on the picture. I can load only base outside.

I can't load emulsion outside.

I think you may have the film the wrong way round in the magazine. Turn the roll over. Are you sure you're not trying to load from the wrong side of the mag?

Could you post a picture of the entire mag, with the film placed as you have it now?

Edited by Mark Dunn

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

If I'll turn roll over I will be able to get film stock holes into the perf teeth but it will be base outside and emulsion inside.

And yes, I'm sure it's a right side of the magazine.

Here's how it's done with 2 perf film

wbAEPhFq-Z4.jpg

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

If you have a difficult camera that normally requires two perf but has one perf of teeth, you may have to respool the roll backward so you can have the emulsion facing the correct way for your camera.

Good idea. Should I re-spool 400' of film in the changing bag each time I'm changing the reel?)

• Premium Member

I guess that's my only option. Will I have tension problems after I re-spool film manually?

I dont think so. People do things like this all the time. Think of those who have 100 loads only and respool 400' loads and short ends down to daylight spools for cheap. They have a fine time doing it and they technically have to respool twice. Once to get it on the roll and again to reset the emulsion side.

Are you using a short end to practice with? If so, from what I can see of it in your pic, I think it has been rewound so that the perfs are now on the wrong side, Perhaps it has already been run once as a test. You will not come across this with fresh film. Strip it off the core, put the head end onto the core and rewind it. The perfs will then be correct.

You have what is called an A-wind at the moment, Cameras need a B-wind. A-wind is for print film and, I believe the Aaton minima camera and no other.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

I dont think so. People do things like this all the time. Think of those who have 100 loads only and respool 400' loads and short ends down to daylight spools for cheap. They have a fine time doing it and they technically have to respool twice. Once to get it on the roll and again to reset the emulsion side.

Are you saying after I've got the shot I can't just drop film in the can and get to the lab? I have to re-spool it back again?

• Premium Member

Are you using a short end to practice with? If so, from what I can see of it in your pic, I think it has been rewound so that the perfs are now on the wrong side, Perhaps it has already been run once as a test.

Mark could be right about this. I would definitely make sure before a major shoot. Get a real test roll that you intend to shoot. Even if its just expired stock from ebay. You need to have your flow sorted before project day.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Are you using a short end to practice with? If so, from what I can see of it in your pic, I think it has been rewound so that the perfs are now on the wrong side, Perhaps it has already been run once as a test. You will not come across this with fresh film. Strip it off the core, put the head end onto the core and rewind it. The perfs will then be correct.

You have what is called an A-wind at the moment, Cameras need a B-wind. A-wind is for print film and, I believe the Aaton minima camera and no other.

Hmm, that's strange. It was a newly packed film (expired). Kodak Vision 500T. 16 N 1R. I don't think it was already used.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

If it is the case that you have to go that route then yes, unfortunately, youd have to respool it back in the dark.

Beauty of film ;)

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

It looks like b-wind to me. You can get A-wind, but usually only in 200' loads for the Aaton A-Minima.

A-wind and B-wind? First time hear it. 200' it's not that bad as for me.

Can you post a picture of the film on the core, showing how the film comes off the roll?

Here is a diagram showing the difference between a- and b-wind. It's possible you have a-wind as it is available for special purposes, but I think it would be marked on the can.

http://www.nfsa.gov.au/preservation/glossary/a-wind

Edited by Mark Dunn

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Can you post a picture of the film on the core, showing how the film comes off the roll?

Here is a diagram showing the difference between a- and b-wind. It's possible you have a-wind as it is available for special purposes, but I think it would be marked on the can.

http://www.nfsa.gov....glossary/a-wind

So if emulsion outside it called a B-roll, right?

Here's the picture

7RbkrAzW6jI.jpg