Single perf 16mm film. Perf holes on the other side! Help

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Okay. That's it. After watching a LOT videos on how to load film on the net I've found out that it's not the camera, but it's a roll that has been already winded couple of times. I just need to find properly sealed film, not already used one.

I know that Arriflex SR takes exactly the same rolls as my Kinor. Is Arriflex SR a-wind cam? No! It's a b-wind.

9XRIE5gXRqk.jpg

That's how it should look.

l2fLbPY4nGk.jpg

Basically I have to rewind b-winds since a-winds are hard to fins. And I guess are expensive.

Sorry to quote the photograph yet again, but it's a way to be precise. The feed roll here is B wind, just with the emulsion out. You can use regular B wind (emulsion in) stock in this camera. Or am I missing something. Is the magazine feed spindle only happy turning in one direction?

Coming back to your very first picture. The roll in the extreme close up picture is A wind. If the packet was fresh it probably says that somewhere, otherwise it's been rewound. Someone posted a drawing of raw stock A wind vs B wind with emulsion in (EI). With the emulsion out (EO) the A wind vs B wind look like this.

http://www.nfsa.gov.au/preservation/glossary/b-wind

Get some double perf for your mag testing and practice loading if you can, then you don't have to rewind all the time.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Sorry to quote the photograph yet again, but it's a way to be precise. The feed roll here is B wind, just with the emulsion out. You can use regular B wind (emulsion in) stock in this camera. Or am I missing something. Is the magazine feed spindle only happy turning in one direction?

Both taking and feeding spindles turn in both directions.

At this picture it's a A-Wind, right?

That's the black antihalation layer I'm seeing on the end you're holding? Then no it's a B wind. If you flipped the roll over it would probably match the drawing that someone posted before.

Mark Dunn gave a good description on another post.

"...This applies to emulsion-in. (just about everything, in other words).

Hold the roll with the leader facing you, hanging down. B-wind (for camera film) has the perfs on the right. A-wind (usually print film IIRC) has the perfs on the left...."

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Is it possible that somebody put a-wind film into the b-wind can, or rewinded it? And then sealed can again.

Because as shown on this picture it looks like a a-wind to me. Perf holes are on the left, a-wind.

nYgYXKo73cQ.jpg

And once again, if on this picture is a b-wind then it's what I need. As you can see perf holes are on the right here.

xX5ikK0rPUM.jpg

Edited by Vadim Trofymenko

How is it that two graphs show different things?

2dl5VituUwI.jpgv9vE4GRi7zI.jpg

On the left is raw camera stock (EI). On the right is processed camera stock (EO). Both are head first. If you mentally rewind the processed film onto another core and then back again so that it's emulsion in (EI) then it will be the same as the raw camera stock exactly.

I think your magazines take up EO. I don't know whether you need to nowdays, but I always used to mark the exposed can with EI or EO for the lab.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

On the left is raw camera stock (EI). On the right is processed camera stock (EO). Both are head first. If you mentally rewind the processed film onto another core and then back again so that it's emulsion in (EI) then it will be the same as the raw camera stock exactly.

I think your magazines take up EO. I don't know whether you need to nowdays, but I always used to mark the exposed can with EI or EO for the lab.

Kinor magazine takes the same film as a arriflex sr2/3. Do you know which type of film arriflex sr takes?

Is it possible that somebody put a-wind film into the b-wind can, or rewinded it? And then sealed can again.

Because as shown on this picture it looks like a a-wind to me. Perf holes are on the left, a-wind.

(picture: commicam)

And once again, if on this picture is a b-wind then it's what I need. As you can see perf holes are on the right here.

(picture: SR)

Like I said before, A wind at the top pic, B wind at the bottom pic.

Was the seal on the first one perfect? Are you sure it hadn't been opened? Maybe it was exposed or used for a scratch test and not marked.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

I remember it had white seal o film when I first opened it saying only "Vision 7279 500T, 164 04801" That's all.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Also, I've got offered ETERNA Vivid 250D 8646 400' for reasonable price. But since it has two perfs can I been used on wide gate such a super 16?

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

No. You can't use 2-perf for Super-16. The image will be into the second set of perfs.

I have only one set of perts on my camera.

MJIAN5luFbQ.jpg

Edited by Vadim Trofymenko

Hi Vadim,

just wrote and lost a long post to this. Damn.

However the important point is that your camera takes normal camera film. Compare the image you posted in post 37 and the 'official' black and white images in post 6. In post 37 your film is leaving from the wrong side of the supply spool. As post 6 shows, it should leave from the bottom of the supply spool, not the top as you have it. You need to know that a camera isn't theaded differently with double perf film. Double perf in a single perf camera simply means that the extra perf isn't used.

Your camera does take film up eumlsion out, rather than emulsion in, however it does need the supply film to be normal - which means emulsion in.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Hi Vadim,

just wrote and lost a long post to this. Damn.

However the important point is that your camera takes normal camera film. Compare the image you posted in post 37 and the 'official' black and white images in post 6. In post 37 your film is leaving from the wrong side of the supply spool. As post 6 shows, it should leave from the bottom of the supply spool, not the top as you have it. You need to know that a camera isn't theaded differently with double perf film. Double perf in a single perf camera simply means that the extra perf isn't used.

Your camera does take film up eumlsion out, rather than emulsion in, however it does need the supply film to be normal - which means emulsion in.

Thanks for reply.

The fact that camera takes normal 1R EIB film makes me feel much better.

Sorry to have misled you about double-perf. I didn't appreciate you had a S-16 gate.

I also misled you with the diagram which was for processed film but Gregg put that right.

So. You need 1R EIB which you are overwhelmingly likely to get anyway, but if you buy anything but fresh stock to order, check the can label and the seals.