War Witch

AH HA, I would have never put that together. Just out of curiosity, what fueled this apparent hatred of Quebec you seem to foster? The film was shot in the Congo so it technically didn't come out of Quebec. I know it's no Dogfather, (then again, what is) but still it seems like a damn fine film from the trailer and description.

: http://ff.hrw.org/film/war-witch?city=5

and it got a 89% on Rotten Tomatoes

: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/war_witch/

It might be worth seeing despite it's ancestral, French/Canadian pedigree.

Actually I didn't criticize the quality of the film :)

Come live in Canada for six months, won't take you long to develop a healthy dislike for Quebec like the rest of us in English Canada.

R,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh please do not praise anything that comes out of Kaybeck, please I beg you!

R,

Richard is just bitter that Quebec is the only place in Canada with some semblance of culture and decent arts funding. I am American and I would never live anywhere in Canada other than Montreal (the rest is just a shitty immitation of the U.S.). Sure, the French issue can get a little boring, but when the cost of living is half of that of Toronto, and the food and art is twice as good, I'll choose Quebec any day.

That being said, there are a lot more commercial film jobs in Van or TO, but I work primarily in Theatre so Montreal suits me just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! Can't believe this thread's anti-Quebec and anti-french direction, it is sad and should not be allowed on a forum like this one. We're not all separatists out here Richard, and even if we were, you should not post comments like that. Nicolas and Kim's work on War Witch should only make you proud. Canada's sent three films to the oscars in three years for best foreign films, all of them coming out of Quebec by the way.

• Upvote 1

Wow! Can't believe this thread's anti-Quebec and anti-french direction, it is sad and should not be allowed on a forum like this one. We're not all separatists out here Richard, and even if we were, you should not post comments like that. Nicolas and Kim's work on War Witch should only make you proud. Canada's sent three films to the oscars in three years for best foreign films, all of them coming out of Quebec by the way.

Wow is right, I didn't even know this forum had any members from Quebec!

Of course Quebec has the ability to send three films in three years to the Oscars in the best foreign film category. For one thing even though Quebec is just 23% of Canada's population (and falling) it receives 50% of the funding from TeleFilm! Gee that's nice. When it comes to TeleFilm funding places like Manitoba and Alberta are not even on the map.

Secondly, Quebec's French language films do not have to compete with English language product. So that gives them a clear advantage.

Does it surprise me that a Quebec film, as usual, dominates Canada's film awards? No not at all. In English Canada we all know what will happen if Quebec does not get its way, the screaming will be very loud and last a very long time.

R,

when the cost of living is half of that of Toronto,

Montreal was once Canada's largest city, now Toronto is double its size. Ask yourself.....why?

R,

Quebec even has their own film awards. Because winning everything at the English Canadian awards isn't enough for the Quebec film industry. Gee maybe the Jutra Awards will welcome English Canadian films and English speaking presenters? After all I'm sure Quebecers want to reciprocate English Canadian generosity.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/spotlight-quebec-cinema-jutra-awards-172630711.html

R,

The folks from La Belle Province don't take kindly to those kind of jokes James.

Anyway, this just in on War Witch, as that's the topic. Big surprise, War Witch cleans up at the Quebec film awards!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/war-witch-wins-big-quebecs-film-awards-042216661.html

R,

PS: James I've gone easy on the Quebecers. I haven't even mentioned their language police that are akin to Saudi Arabia's Mutaween. Nor did I mention how immigrant children are forced against their will to attend French speaking schools.

The folks from La Belle Province don't take kindly to those kind of jokes James.

Now Skeeter, I don't mean nothin' by it!

PS: James I've gone easy on the Quebecers. I haven't even mentioned their language police that are akin to Saudi Arabia's Mutaween. Nor did I mention how immigrant children are forced against their will to attend French speaking schools.

You guys can actually DO THAT in Canada??!! You know, we have New Orleans and many people speak Cajan but no one forces them to.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

"You guys can actually DO THAT in Canada??!! You know, we have New Orleans and many people speak Cajan but no one forces them to."

Quebec participates in a number of non Constitutional policies all designed to protect the French language. Which is dying no matter what they try.

R,

LOL. As Canadians let's not air our dirty laundry on an international forum. I agree that we should get behind any project that brings international attention. Language and identity politics between Quebec and the rest of Canada is a long complicated story. Besides, you can't complain about Quebec whinning for tax payer funds without acknowledging the 3rd class status they used to "enjoy" at the hands of an Anglo minority (in Quebec and specificaly Montreal) with the help of the Catholic Church and complicit provinicial governments who worked with the Feds to maintain the statas quo. The Duplessis government being one of the worst.

I grew up in Ottawa on the Quebec border and I took French Immersion in school so my perspective is different than somebody from Toronto. There's a reason why one of the greatest rivalries in pro sports is the Leafs v Habs.