Has anyone experienced this??? We have two C300's (one PL the other EF) where the cameras resets itself, and loses all of the custom settings loaded onto the camera. I've found (through vigorous searching, frustration, beating my head against the wall, then finally reading the Op Manual) that the cameras internal battery charges every time that it is plugged into house power, but our C300's are rarely plugged into house power!!! So My ultimate question of the day is: Other than keeping the cameras hooked up to house power, what would YOU do?

• 1 month later...

Thats really curious. We have two C300's that have had heavy use with internal batts, externals batts and power supplies and have never had that issue. Do you keep the SD card with the settings in the camera? Maybe ours are reloading the data and we dont know it.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Reviving an old thread here, as I'm not able to find anything else about this. I should count myself lucky that of the 2 C300 Mk1 units I have here, it was only recently that I have experienced a failure in one camera with the internal battery - I may be able to call it a 'reference cell' here, as it probably only has the function of maintaining volatile memory.

My suspicion around the issue of the internal 'battery' (it's probably a cell, technically speaking) is that the life of the cell would be extended if the camera were maintained on the shelf with the power adaptor attached. It makes sense that there is a certain leakage current associated with an unused camera otherwise. What would be interesting to find out is whether leaving one of the camera's regular battery packs (the rechargeable BP-series LiOn packs that you use for portable work) would help delay the degradation. 

I am currently in touch with Canon about the replacement cell issue, while they have my camera on the bench, and I can post a follow-up here about what, if anything, further I am able to learn from their tech staff about this.

i didn't see this thread earlier

i dealt with this issue in 2017 with my c300 mk i.
the problem is that the internal battery naturally wears out over time. it is replaceable on the mk i version, but not later versions.

next issue was that canon stopped manufacturing the replaceable battery, and had a new PCB board with a permanently wired battery (like the newer versions). i believe at the time they charged something like $500 minimum to open up any cinema EOS product. but they sold me the PCB assembly board for $40
with a screw driver and a few beers i took out the old assembly and installed the new one. the camera functions to this day :)

i attached the picture of what they had originally sent me. part #13 is the old battery
the new board assembly in 2017 had part number "DG3-4157-010 PCB ASS'Y, SD, W/LI-BATT." on the invoice

C300_backupbatteryboard.jpg