F-64D Color Problem

Harry Laos

Hello People

I am new here and new to 16mm.

I recently purchased some Fujifilm F-64D stock which, as you can see from the pic below, has come out extremely blue. The flowers are supposed to be red.

Is this normal or is this more of a tungsten film reaction without a filter?

Perhaps the film is faulty?

I did not use any filters as it did not insist any were needed for daylight shooting.

Any help or opinions would be much appreciatedpost-59777-0-63624600-1359105405_thumb.jpg :)

Well, first off this is a daylight film. So, tungsten is not the issue. And, if it was a tungsten film in daylight it would look a little blue, not change red to blue. LOL

My first guess would be the transfer. Have you tried scanning a couple of frames manually with a flatbed or something like that? Was this a negative scan or a print?

Yes this is new stock. I have not tried scanning a few frames on a flatbed or checking it on a light table. The telecine was done on the negative on a Rank Cintel. The processing guys told me there was nothing on their end that would have produced this heavy blue.

Can you locate the batch number and ask Fujifilm about it, just in case it was a bad batch. You can try compensating in post lifting the red levels and lowering the blue, someone that is properly trained will be able to remove the bulk of it from the image. Sorry to hear about the film.

Looks like an improperly adjusted telecine transfer to me. Are you sure you didn't have the blue filter in place to shoot with daylight film under tungsten conditions?

Even if there was an 80 filter on daylight film it wouldn't blue it so much that something red comes out blue. This is either an telecine issue, a film emulsion issue, or a processing issue. I just don't see how a filter could cause this. Take your 80 filter and look at something red through it. It gives it a more blue hue but doesn't actually make it blue.

Silly Rank Cintel operator.

Indeed, if that's the problem. It's hard to believe that any transfer operator can have sent this result out without querying it. It does highlight the value of shooting a few frames of a colour chart on the head of each roll (or at least one roll per batch sent for processing). It can settle almost any uncertainty.

It'd be interesting if you cold post a frame with the correct colours, once you have it re-transferred.

I was the Rank Cintel operator :rolleyes: Sorry I should have mentioned that. Yes no professional would send out a transfer like that.

I have access to a Rank Cintel and though the grading panel is quite old, I could not grade out the blue tint. I had to finish it in an NLE. I have not seen any other color negative film (with a blue cast) play through that machine.

The correct colors are in the pic below :)

post-59777-0-77700200-1359436248_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry Laos

I was the Rank Cintel operator :rolleyes: Sorry I should have mentioned that. Yes no professional would send out a transfer like that.

I have access to a Rank Cintel and though the grading panel is quite old, I could not grade out the blue tint. I had to finish it in an NLE. I have not seen any other color negative film (with a blue cast) play through that machine.

The correct colors are in the pic below :)

Sorry Harry, didn't mean to insult. :(