K3 16mm lenses

Hey gang,

I have been shooting super8 and K3 for a little bit now and I am thinking about changing the lens. I have the been using the standard zoom and I enjoy it, appreciate it but I am curious. The 8mm Peleng is a popular choice among K3 users but I haven't seen anyone's K3 footage showing of the lens. There is a video of the lens on a 7D:

I am also aware of the Zenitar 16mm fisheye.

Here is some info on the lenses. However this is in regard to still photography and NOT 16MM K3 cinematography:

http://home.comcast....it/fisheye.html

Can someone break down for me what a 35mm SLR camera's mm translates to when applying the same lens to K3 16mm camera. For instance say there is a 58mm lens out there with a m42 mount, would the angle of view captured on the K3 be equal to the SLR still camera or would there be a difference?

Is there any footage online of someone using a wide angle lens on a K3 or a telephoto lens, for that matter? What would using A 200mm telephoto lens on K3 do? Would the angle of view be the same as the SLR or different?

Is it true that a few years ago one could get a modification done to the K3 were a motor was put in and once could have constant filming pre set, eliminating the need to hold down the trigger. Did this same modification also allow for sound recording? ( I doubt sync sound since this thing is loud)

If I were to convert my camera to super 16 I would need to recenter the lens so I could use my zoom again. If I re-centered the lens would i be able to use any other m42 lens on my now newly modified K3 or would every lens have to be re-centered individually?

Heres a video I shot with my K3:

I get scratches but it doesn't bother so much. I guess its those loop informers! If I remove them will the camera jam more or will the camera run smoother?

Thank you for taking time out to read this,

Rudy

Edited by Rudy Velez Jr

• Premium Member

Remember that you're talking more about coverage of the lens than how many millimeters it is. In other words, a 24mm lens is a 24mm lens on any camera, on a 16mm (film size) camera the coverage would look more like a 50mm lens would on a 35mm (film size) camera. Does that make sense? There's probably someone who can explain it better. If you shoot a ton of 16mm you get used to what a 24mm lens would look like on a 16mm camera. Going between 35mm and 16mm is where you can get thrown off.

The Peleng 8mm on the K3 is nowhere near as "fisheye" as it is on a DSLR. You will see significant rounding of corners but since it's only using the center of the lens it isn't quite a complete "fisheye."

You don't have to recenter the lens in the Super 16 conversion although it would be recommended. If you use Pentax M42 (screw mount) 35mm camera lenses you'll be fine as those lenses would cover Super 35mm so it more than covers Super 16mm. The issue on recentering is when you use a zoom lens and zoom while filming...something rarely done but possible. It gives a strange effect. Also the stock Meteor zoom that comes with the K3 will not cover Super 16 under 24mm or so.

You can use an m42 200mm telephoto or more if you like. As long as the lens was designed for 35mm still cameras you are all set.

As far as sound sync, not really the camera for that even with a motor. Just at the same time with a small camcorder then sync up the sound in post using visual cues like a flash or clap board.

Thanks Will! Coverage is the keyword! O.K. So using a 20mm lens on a 16mm would yield the same coverage as a 50mm lens on a SLR

I wish there a table or chart showing the type of coverage one could get using different lenses on the K3. So if I were to use a 500mm lens m42 lens on the K3 from what your saying that would make it like an insane telephoto lens(I wonder how it would look?), because 24mm becomes like a 50mm coverage wise.

I wonder than what about the 16mm fisheye? It wouldnt yield the fisheye effect but would just be a wide angle lens? would it be akin to 32mm since the coverage from 35mm to 16mm seems to alter radically.

• Premium Member

lenses don't know what size the film (or sensor) is. It is best to just think of the coverage of a given focal length. I recall that the ASC manual had some charts showing lens coverage, but it is not hard to get a feeling for it.

Set your zoom at a given mm seting and that is the coverage of any lens that size on regular 16.

the fisheye lens is just used in the very center of its field on 16mm so the Fisheye distroion does not show (much)

• Premium Member

Thanks Will! Coverage is the keyword! O.K. So using a 20mm lens on a 16mm would yield the same coverage as a 50mm lens on a SLR

Basically. It just gets a little squirrelly thinking that way because other lens factors like edge distortion are different; especially in a fisheye type lens.

I wonder than what about the 16mm fisheye? It wouldnt yield the fisheye effect but would just be a wide angle lens? would it be akin to 32mm since the coverage from 35mm to 16mm seems to alter radically.

I have a Peleng 8mm for my K3. Only used it once and it definitely has distorted edges but is nowhere near fisheye on that camera. Other nice thing is that focusing isn't an issue because it's so wide (although pretty soft). When I put it on my Nikon F100 35mm still camera it was absolutely fisheye.

If you are looking for alternate lenses for a K3 look for Pentax Super Takumar M42 mount lenses. I have a 24mm and a 50mm that look spectacular on that camera. The K3 is a fun camera and great to learn on, I just got tired of winding the thing all the time and missing important shots. I moved to a Scoopic MS and loved it. Easy to convert to Ultra16 and the convenience of not winding out-weighs the "no super 16" issue on Scoopics for me.

What about using an MC MTO 11ca 1000mm lens on a K3? Can this even be done? Should this be done? I was thinking about filming the moon/ astronomy stuff.

http://www.dvdtechca...5slrl/99/99.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUEV0dQskAQ

Also how would a teleconverter work with K3? Say I throw on my 2x teleconverter onto my Peleng 8mm, it would then morph into 16mm, correct? If I owned a MTO 1000mm lens I throw it on I would then have 2000mm lens, so how would that be on a K3?

Edited by Rudy Velez Jr

• Premium Member

The Peleng is a pretty soft lens to begin with so when you throw a teleconverter on it you may not be happy with how sharp it is. Much better picking up a 16mm Kiev lens like this one. At $165 new you'll be happier with that than a Peleng with a teleconverter.

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/zenitar_m_fisheye_lens.htm

zenitar-m42-fisheye-2-8-16-lens.jpg

• Premium Member

poop I was gonna buy that lens before I saw the Peleng!

Not much advantage over the stock 17-85 (?) lens that comes with the K3 except that it covers the Super 16mm area completely since it is a still camera lens.

Know anything about that cool 1000mm telephoto lens?

No, sorry. Rule of thumb on lenses; you get what you pay for. Although you get a little more for the same money from Russian lenses because they aren't in quite the same demand. Plus these aren't really cine lenses.

Will,

How about this aspherical 14mm M42 Samyang lens? It's a little bit wider than the Kiev 16mm and almost rectilinear it seems (no fish-eye):

http://www.rugift.com/content/samyang-14mm-f28-aspherical-lens-pentax.htm

That might work fine on a K-3 (if the back focus is OK) and the dark corners on a full frame DSLR or SLR wouldn't be a problem on a K-3.

Bengt in Stockholm :)

• Premium Member

How about this aspherical 14mm M42 Samyang lens? It's a little bit wider than the Kiev 16mm and almost rectilinear it seems (no fish-eye):

Haven't tried that lens. Generally speaking, if it costs more you might have slightly better glass. The Kiev 16mm is fish-eye on a 35mm still camera, on the K3 it just has slightly rounded edges. The 8mm Peleng has much more rounded edges.

If you are looking for good glass I come back to the Pentax Super Takumar line. They are probably some of the best lenses you can get for that camera and are selling at a good price on eBay these days. Something in the 24mm or 35mm range might be worth having.

Rudy,

I am not sure if there are m42 mount Rokinon lenses, but I would strongly recommend those. Rokinons are inexpensive, and tests indicate that those are pretty close to Zeiss glass in terms of sharpness. However, build quality is not nearly as good as Zeiss. So, it wouldn't last as long as Zeiss would.

• 3 weeks later...

What about using an MC MTO 11ca 1000mm lens on a K3? Can this even be done? Should this be done? I was thinking about filming the moon/ astronomy stuff.

http://www.dvdtechca...5slrl/99/99.htm

The lens has always set @ f/10. How would I go about capturing a full moon or astronomy photos at night? Either with a K3 16MM or just on 35mm SLR still camera?(non-digital) ?

Also what would a teleconverter do to my peleng lens on the k3? Make it a 16mm lens? How would the edges be, if you had to take an educated guess?

Much thanks to all of you for helping me :D

• 2 weeks later...

<<<<<If I were to convert my camera to super 16 I would need to recenter the lens so I could use my zoom again. If I re-centered the lens would i be able to use any other m42 lens on my now newly modified K3 or would every lens have to be re-centered individually?

Heres a video I shot with my K3:
I get scratches but it doesn't bother so much. I guess its those loop informers! If I remove them will the camera jam more or will the camera run smoother?

<<<<<<<<<<

You can convert your K3 to S16, but you can (I suppose) convert it to ultra16 if you want this kind of frame. Meteor zoom can be a very good lens (after matching them...), so better than still lenses, especially in wides. And so, no re-centering...

There is no scratches when you pull off the loop-former, a very simple thing to do.

Peleng8mm is a nice and crazy lens, but a bit soft...

Last advice : you can focus more close than 2m with the meteor zoom : just unscrew the lens a little bit and it will focus perfectly as close as you want...

Last advice : you can focus more close than 2m with the meteor zoom : just unscrew the lens a little bit and it will focus perfectly as close as you want...

Thank you Philippe Lignieres

I find what you said last which I quoted above to be most fascinating. Thank you

• 4 weeks later...