Anyone have SR3 Super 16 Gate laying around?

Will Montgomery

• Premium Member

Thinking of resurrecting my SR1 or SR2 and trying to save a little money by buying the gate myself.

I have a great Arri tech that can help me with the conversion but the gate seems to be the big issue. May keep the b-mount temporarily but recenter it.

Maybe a rental house with an old box of gates laying around collecting dust? :D

• Premium Member

Hi Will,

we've got a S16 gate that we were saving for a film school that was considering getting their SRII upgraded, looks like they won't go ahead though. It's a re-machined R16 gate, P&S Technic job.

Your tech might need gate shims to set it at the right depth for reg pin protrusion. You could probably live without using the centreing jig to position it perfectly.

You also need to add about 5 degrees to the mirror/shutter if you don't want smearing, as it won't quite cover the expanded gate unless the pulldown is modified to be faster. When I was at Panavision Sydney years back the techs came up with a simple solution by glueing a wedge of balsa wood to one edge of the mirror/shutter and painting it black.

• Premium Member

Dom, PM me when you get a chance. I'd love to buy that from you if I can afford it.

I'm trying to rescue an SR1 with French electronics (ARRI NY is helping me fix the board!) and I'd love to bring it into the 21st century with a Super 16 upgrade; it's just the finances don't make much sense when SR3's are going for $4100 on eBay. I love these older cameras and want to give them a new life if possible.

The system said you can't receive any more messages, so maybe your inbox is full on this board?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Will,

I see this is a few weeks old. If the gate from Dom doesn't work out, I have an SR3 Super 16 gate I would consider selling. It is an actual SR3 Super 16 gate, not a re-machined R16 gate.

Best,

-Tim