Fluorescent Bulbs that give a teal/cyan glow

Kevin Pham

Hi! Does anybody have any links to any tests on commonly found hardware store fluorescent bulbs? I'm trying to look for one that gives a teal/cyan look - commonly found in Rodrigo Prieto or Emmanuel Lubezki's works. I did read a post where he was using Cool Whites but I am curious to see how others stack against it. Also, different brands most likely look very different from each other, so just curious if anybody had already tested them out thoroughly.

Hey Kevin,

I think this is something you'll have to test on your own for the exact differences between bulbs. Once you find the one you like just order a whole lot of them.

Generally any cheap fluorescent with a low CRI rating is going to give off some green light. If you take a cool white with a terrible CRI and shoot on a tungsten balance then you'll get that cyan colour. You can also modify slightly with 1/4 and 1/8 plus green gels, try using 1/4 plus green on a daylight Kino. This way you can use some conventional units for modelling if you wish and keep the same colour.

All in the testing.

• Upvote 1